Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Ebay - Private auction or public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What do you think, domainers? If you wish to sell a big-ticket name on Ebay, should you keep it private so the bidders can remain incognito, or would more of them want it public to see what's going on and "who's" bidding? Ebay seems to suggest the former, but I wonder.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it would really depend upon the name imo. there are many high ticket domain names on ebay which are priced ridculously and will never sell; there are advantages to private listings again depending upon the domain name and who the potential market or buyer might be. on the other hand there are domainers who want to know who's in the bidding game to check for possible shill bids, and imo, those persons generally will not participate in a private system.

Bart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
private auctions = way too tricky.

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many bidders avoid private auctions.
I would go for public.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would definately avoid a private auction on ebay as well.
In the past, there had been so many fake bids, that IMO gave a bad reputation to private auctions.

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, public is the way to go, builds more trust.

beggers

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would avoid private auctions. I've had much better succcess with public auctions. Personally, I don't like to bid on private auctions because you can't tell what's going on.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, people. I agree with public all the way and the arguments in favor of it.

How about the whois? Let's say the home page for the domain on auction has a clear link to it, or the url redirects straight to it. In that case, it clearly validates the auction. Therefore, how do you feel about keeping the whois private for a big ticket domain during auction?

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www said:
Thanks for all the feedback, people. I agree with public all the way and the arguments in favor of it.

How about the whois? Let's say the home page for the domain on auction has a clear link to it, or the url redirects straight to it. In that case, it clearly validates the auction. Therefore, how do you feel about keeping the whois private for a big ticket domain during auction?

------------------------------------
i would want the whois public for verification purposes. the link on the auction page may confirm the use of the domain, but not ownership.

RegFee

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree, I think whois protection saves you from a lot of spam, but if you are actively trying to sell the name, you should disable it temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom