Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Ebay scam spam ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

received this email today:

"We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't resolve your problems. To resolve this problems please click here and login into your account in order to resolve your the problems. If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after that it will be again operational.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your
agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to ebay.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
eBay, Inc.

--
eBay "

Followed by a details form to fill out including password, paypal details etc.

Note the spelling errors in above message btw - "resolve your the problems" ?!

Email shows "[email protected]" as sender but unfortunately i (think i) can't do an email header check as this was sent to my web-based email account.

What worries me though is that if you click on "Update registration information" within the form it first redirects to cgi.wish.net for a blink of an eye and then again redirects to signin.ebay.com.

So the big question is:

Is this a fraud scam email trying to make me give out my user details and password or is it legit?

It looks scammish to me.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not yet.

But i believe it to be scam now for the following reasons:

- Bad grammar

- No serious company asks you to put your password into a form sent by email; the normal way would be they'd ask you to login to your account on the website, not within the email

- I just remembered the guy who hijacked this very email account a while ago to use it for fraud auctions selling stolen stuff on ebay.I remember i managed to send him an email and he answered i would get my email account back within 3 or 4 days..just like the above email says "your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after that it will be again operational."

Btw - i got my email account back of course back then, but not through him but with the help of the ISP, ebay and FBI.

Anyway, i will forward the email to the real ebay security team and see what they say.

Btw - just logged into my account on the ebay website and everything looks normal..no hint on account suspension or anything.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definitely a scam. Ebay nor PayPal will ever ask for your password.

Report it to Ebay.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Scam. I received a similar one a week or so ago.

Look at the return address. Mine was from "[email protected]" and not the standard "[email protected]". Interesting tactic by the spammer / scammer as if you reply to the email, it will bounce back from eBay.

As NameGuy said you suspect Beatz, a reputable company will NEVER ask you for a password via email.

-Bob

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ohh

I get htese like 3-10 times a week starting about 6months ago (or more).

I use to report them to ebay/PP but than once I got the reply " Oh that, Its just spam"

I couldnt believe it..

So I stopped reporting them.

Although for the uninformed newbie, those emails are very easy to fall victem to,

I feel sorry for them :(

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think they have the FBI on this one already. It's been going on a while.
http://www.techtv.com/news/securityalert/story/0,24195,3408463,00.html (This show air in February)

There have been so many AOL-based ones its disgusting. "Sign up for your AOL-InstaKiss(tm) today! Just sign in to this fake AOL page we've carefully duplicated, although we can't bother to spell check this e-mail. Come on, its fun!" People should be ashamed of them selves.

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom