Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

eBay? Success or waste of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmgf

Level 2
Reaction score
I've had a few sales. Ebay offers free listing opportunities and, worse case scenario, it is an inexpensive way to advertise, promote your business, highlight and elaborate on various products, add links, etc.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is both a success and a waste of time.

You will have success in selling names.

You will waste your time in getting bidders to pay for the items.

g

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You want to deal with ebay???

Go right ahead. Check this out:

Sorry, it's not possible to leave feedback for this transaction.
Feedback has been disabled because payment was not recorded.

The whole point of me wanting to leave feedback is because this asswipe wasted my time and the time of 18 other people by bidding on and winning some Ray Ban glasses. I was the seller. He/She was the buyer.

The entire point of leaving negative feeback is because the jerk did not pay.

But guess what? Ebay has recently disabled feedback if you're the seller.

So good luck getting your money and dealing with asses like this.

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the sold auctions - Most are under $500
Next look at the unsold auctions, sorted by price. Most aren't even worth reg fee and have asking prices of several million dollars.
It would make sense for ebay to add a section for names that are appraised by one of us, which may give them SOME credibility.
Until that happens stick with FLIPPA, DNF, or other marketplaces...or sell to us :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't figure out what ebay is doing destroying their seller base.

Been waiting eight days on payment for a jersey.

The guy emails me tonight and tells me he has changed his mind. And guess what. There is nothing I can do about it. All I can do is file with ebay to cancel the transaction and get my fees back. And once again, I will not be able to leave negative feedback to warn other sellers about his actions. I will not be able to leave any feedback whatsoever.

I have not been selling on ebay for over a year now so I have no idea when they changed their rules. But I can already see the problems with their new system and how people can manipulate it. Non payment definitely ticking up.

Not worth the hassle of selling, holding merchandise waiting on payment, only to have the buyer back out. I definitely see this being a serious issue and serious decline in ebay's user base. Seller will not want to sell in an environment like that. Suddenly the deadbeat buyers are running the show and winning.

BusinessDomain

http://stores.ebay.com/AGED-Domain-Names
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have sold domain names on eBay for a few years now with mixed results. I use their store feature to organize and promote my domain portfolio all while offering an easy way to purchase. I figure most domainers and end users have an Ebay account or at least know someone that does. I list on ebay in addition to other places such as SEDO, GoDaddy, and here of course.. I used to make quite of few sales before they changed the way their search algorithm worked. Now it's every so often, but I price most of my domains at what I consider reasonable reseller prices. I think you would have a hard time selling a domain for over $1,000 on there but im sure it happens. It really depends on the quality of the domain, if it's good it will sell just as soon as the right buyer comes along. So why not put your domains in front of as many people as possible?

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Too many worthless names being sold on eBay to make it a worthwhile venue. You will need to be innovative to reach the right audience. At its worst, selling names on eBay can help you unload unwanted inventory and increase your positive feedback. But not unless you sell at dirt cheap.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have seen some seller charge $20.00 for shipping, which is another add-on charge for pushing the name to your account.

You just have to be careful and prepare yourself for all kinds of trickery.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I liken eBay to a flea market.

I have seen some seller charge $20.00 for shipping, which is another add-on charge for pushing the name to your account.

You just have to be careful and prepare yourself for all kinds of trickery.

Pretty sure this is against eBay's TOS for charging excessive shipping fees.

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had great success with EBAY over the years selling a variety of goods, other than domain names, with over $10K in sales just last year (i.e. collector cards, coins, stamps, ticket stubs, albums, etc.) However, I agree with the other comments made regarding domain names and EBAY, in that there are mainly only crappy names available, which result in very low prices. The only names I sell there, are the stupid names I shouldn't have registered in the first place, in hopes of making back my reg fee and doing it before I let them expire. Sold a handful so far and will be trying again soon.

I would not attempt at selling any quality names there, as you'll get a bigger more focused audience in the various other domaining platforms out there, IMO.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ebay did exactly the right thing by removing feedback from sellers, because it's sellers who are most LIKELY to be dishonest and deceptive in their descriptions.

Like the Mint CD I received that looked liked it was used as a Frisbee, or the "NIB" timer that showed up weathered and rusty, or the Chinese knockoff that was sold as a brand name.. And when you contact the seller to complain the response is usually; What do you want for x dollars?.. So you do the right thing to warn others by leaving them negative feedback and your rewarded with retaliatory feedback.

Hard to believe it took Ebay over a decade to make the change.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It was great, up until around 2004. Sold a few dozen domains there, and bought some good keyword domains from end-user sellers who tried to make a buck. Resold them at a healthy profit. These days, eBay is full of junk.

Howie Crosby

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah I get the general gist is not too positive. I've been trading collectables for 12 years on ebay, and am trying some domains that reflect the same market.
I've only had 2 prob's over that period, but I think selling non physical things like domains might bring a different type of customer?

Thanks for your comments, I too have viewed the completed sales on domain names via ebay and it does not look very active. I guess it's a platform that I'm use too.

Must explore further :)

robmgf

Level 2
Reaction score
I don't no why I'm touting Ebay today. I guess I'm somewhat amused to see the world's most popular auction platform being dismissed out-of-hand.
"I'm fond of the quote: In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's there are few."
Here's another link - believe it or not, friend.com sold for $100 on Jan. 2nd:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...d=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&afsrc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom