Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Eliminate the 5 day grace period, yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

HuntingMoon

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tasting is on the decline it appears since the new fee structure went into place. the playing field is still not level and tasting is still happening though.

exponent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm all for elimination. .WS is tasting a domain that I was attempting to register.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know you could drop a name within 5 days? How do you do that..

Registrars like Dynadot for one allow you to "cancel" any registrations within a 4-5 day period for a cost of .20. They show you the time remaining on your Account Summary.

There are many that use this "cancellation window" for legitimate purposes, particulary those that register IDNs- International Domain Names using online translators and dictionaries. Many times it is helpful to register the name pending further confirmation of the proper translation, best term etc. by native speakers.

Too many times you can check availablity of a name, and then come back a day later and find it registered. The ability to register IDN names that you are relatively confident in, and have time to get forum "appraisals" from members that speak the various languages is a good benefit.

I am against bulk "tasting", or think the fee for that should be .50 and used to help hold down overall cost of registration fees and renewals.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Why taste domains when you can use your mom's credit card? :D

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it should stay, but, with limit.
Say, 5 domains/year?
I canceled 2 or 3 domains before.
They were spelling errors ;)

Same here, but I didn't know about getting a refund. :(

Either limit it or add in a fee, too much to make tasting worthwhile but not too much that legitimate mistakes can be corrected. Something like $2.50?

tinner666

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Same here, but I didn't know about getting a refund. :(

Either limit it or add in a fee, too much to make tasting worthwhile but not too much that legitimate mistakes can be corrected. Something like $2.50?

Sounds like a good idea.:)

SharonTucci

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I accidentally register a few mistakes a year. It normally happens when scanning huge lists of domains and seeing an extra "i" is in there or a double "L". Sometimes an L in place of an I. I can blame it on my advancing age and eyes going ;)

Here's an even worse case:

I registered a domain a few years ago. I inadvertently let it go into redemption phase and rather than paying $150 for it, I decided to risk backordering it. It seemed like it had good end user potential - low x,xxx sale possibly - and it was breakeven on reg fees in parking revenue. I get it on backorder and as I'm readding it to my database I realized that it was a typo! Instead of "platinum", it was "platinium". DOH

HolyRoller

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to admit to regging two spelling mistakes, but personally I still think that the 5 day grace period shouldn't be allowed.

If you reg a name by mistake, you just have to live with the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom