Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Eliot Spitzer Files UDRP to Take EliotSpitzer.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcade

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer appears to have begun a UDRP to take the domain names eliotspitzer.com and eliotspitzer.org away from Eric Keller, a New Jersey online candy retailer who registered them in 2001.

The domains are parked today, but archived web pages from the Internet Wayback Machine indicate that eliotspitzer.com was used for several years to direct traffic to eBulkCandy.com LLC, a candy retailer based in Trenton, N.J.

On Dec. 5, Keller was indicted by the Department of Justice on 10 counts of mail fraud for allegedly bilking UPS out of charges for candy shipments:

"From September 22, 2001 through February 2005, Keller created a series of bogus UPS shipping accounts for the purpose of shipping candy to ebulkcandy customers, and failed to pay UPS for the shipping. The indictment alleges that at the time Keller opened the UPS accounts, he had no intention of paying UPS for shipping services. According to the charges, defendant Eric Keller defrauded UPS of approximately $154,581."

He faces up to 200 years imprisonment and a $2.5 million fine.

In 2003, Keller was sued in Illinois by Brach's Confections for cybersquatting and trademark infringement over nine domains that incorporated Brach's into their names: brach.us, brachcandy.com, brachs.net, brachs.org, brachscandies.com, brachscandy.net, brachsconfections.com, brachsoutlet.com and brachswholesale.com.

Where the UDRP is concerned, I'm curious whether Spitzer can show that he's used his name in commerce as a mark.

I put more about this on my blog, Workbench, which is linked in my SIG. Hope that's not a violation of forum rules.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Where the UDRP is concerned, I'm curious whether Spitzer can show that he's used his name in commerce as a mark.

We'll have to wait and see. If he learned anything from the HillaryClinton.com
UDRP, then he might...might...just win.

He can also sue in court if he hasn't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom