Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

For Sale Email about hijacked domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Two months ago I traded a premium.ca domain name for another premium.ca domain name. I just received an email from someone asking what they had to do to get the hijacked domain name that I received back.

I am assuming this is someone phishing. Does anyone else have any experiences like this?

Thanks.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The initial contact was with a DNForum member, on behalf of another person. The trade was done with the other person, I believe it was an affiliated business, they had the same physical address.

That DNForum member still posts here and doesn't appear to have any complaints against them. When we did the trade, I gave them my domain first and they followed through promptly giving me their domain name.

I have just contacted the DNForum member to see what information they can give me. I just hate to waste their time and my time if this is just phishing, but I don't want to take any chances.

I don't know what safeguards are in place so that people can't just claim your name. I thought I read something about unchallenged complaints to CIRA within 7 days that can result in a Registrant transfer. I'm sure that there is a lot more to it than that. The last thing I want to do is lose time in court fighting for a name when I could be making money.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure it's not somebody who let their domain expire and just figures you took it because your name is on the registration?

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The people that I traded the domain name for got back to me immediately. The name was dropped in a TBR. They also provided me with a tool that some of you are probably familiar with, archive.org, they have a WayBack Machine to see pages from the past.

The people that lost the name have loosely used the term hijacked.

I would assume that I am in my full rights to continue with ownership of the name.

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've even received similar emails for names that I've fresh-regged, not knowing at one point it was registered to someone else... Common theme was forgetting to renew, especially those who register for years at a time using an email belonging to an old ISP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom