Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Email Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thought i'd just let you know that i just got a virus in an email from [email protected]. The old, "Message Attached" email

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are loads of virus email going back and forth and many not from where they are alleged to come from.

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah i know it wouldn't have come from here, just strange that they used the [email protected] as an email......

Never mind ;-)

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not really, anyone with that address in their address book and insufficient virus protection and off it goes as a clone.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The malicious code (a.k.a. "virus") is programmed in such fashion to replicate itself by using any addressess that it finds in your addresss book, to send e-mails w/viruses to those people listed in your address book, and then does the same thing with their address book... and on, and on, and on... across the net. In 99% of the cases, people are not even aware that their e-mail clients have gotten infected and that they (usually that dumb Windows Outlook) are automatically firing the very same viruses to their own friends and acquaintances...

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've gotten some from my own email, and a few other members here..

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my hotmail account also has the problem.

i am getting 'failure to deliver' messages every few days to email addresses that i have never heard of - yesterday it was something to do with Harry Potter.

I dont think it is working from addresses in our own address book but maybe from others' and maybe even crawling websites... i doubt ''that'' though.

M

mole

The virus looks at your addy book and just randomly selects anything there to spoof.

I would strongly recommend that everyone here gets Norton Internet Security Pro 2004, plus patch your OS every time. These are worms, and you can silently get infected through your network, not just clicking on email attachments.

And for emails, get Mailwasher Pro 4.2 to scan emails on your POP server before you even dare to download them.

M

mole

And as to the logic why this spoofing is effective? To capitalise on the whitelisted domains many anti-spam software use. Something like the Trojan horse of Greecian times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom