Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Enforce NO spaces rule in domain name listings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please consider enforcing a "no spaces" rule (likewise for other extraneous added characters) in domain name listings.

I see some for sale listings in which the domain(s) for sale are spaced out... ie. E X A M P L E. C O M instead of EXAMPLE.COM

Some people space out their domain listings for spam reasons and/or for better visiability...

However, such spacing isn't fair to those who follow the rules, since technically domains listed with such spaceing aren't real domains.

If one doesn't want their domain(s) for sale to show up in search engines, then perhaps they should consider an Exclusive membership and/or other more private sales venues.

Again, please consider enforcing a "no spaces" rule in domain name listings.

Thanks!

Ron

Upvote 0

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
However, such spacing isn't fair to those who follow the rules, since technically domains listed with such spaceing aren't real domains.

come on now.... exactly who is it hurting doing this

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It makes for sale listings difficult to read...

example.com
e x a m p l e.c o m
e*x*a*m*p*l*e.c*o*m
etc, etc...

And also such spacing can lead to mistakes, in particular for the buyers when they go to remove such spacing and other nonsense.

On a related note, it makes the seller appear unprofessional - when I see bastardized domain listings, I immediately think of spammers ... that's not a good impression to convey to buyers.

Ron

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I think people do this so the title will not be picked up by the search engines. At least that is what was told to me at one time.

-bob

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quite honestly. Iv'e never seen anyone go to the extreme of e*x*a*m*p*l*e*.*c*o*m. Most of the time it's simpy (example com) (exa*mple.com) or (example*com) which really isnt a big deal. If you feel that they have the upper hand in the listings, just do it yourself. I'm sure they dont do it just for spite. It's usually with good reasoning.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There used to be a mod/hack in place that forced each domain in a title to be validated. What happened to it?

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

If one doesn't want their domain(s) for sale to show up in search engines, then perhaps they should consider an Exclusive membership and/or other more private sales venues.
I completely disagree. How do spaces in a domain give it an unfair advantage in a sales thread? That makes no sense- you can add whatever words you want after the domain if you want to make a catchy title.
I sometimes put spaces to avoid being picked up in search engines. Hardly anyone views the exclusive sales threads; the audience just isn't there. I usually see about 1 or 2 'viewing' the exclusive sales forum, while 70 to 130 viewing the platinum ones.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am personally on the fence over this one.

On one hand it helps avoid search engines, a nice little safety measure we can all enjoy if we feel we should.

On the other hand it can also be a sign of fraud or hijackings.

Really the owner/admin will ultimately decided which wins out. :canada:

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. We have enough rules already - there is no need to add another one.
2. To avoid to be indexed by Search Engines has the advantage to both Buyer/Seller - Escpecially for the Buyer so no one needs to know what price the name was bought or sold.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2. To avoid to be indexed by Search Engines has the advantage to both Buyer/Seller - Escpecially for the Buyer so no one needs to know what price the name was bought or sold.

Exactly...If I don't want search engines or prospective buyers to know buy or sell price why should I have to....

I had some an enduser question a name I was selling as they saw on Google I recently advertised it for $200....I then had to tell them that that was me buying it for that price and the whole pricing/offer business became about what I paid as opposed to what I wanted for it... didn't sell it.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you don't want the search engines / others to know, then please consider not posting a public for sale ad.

In regards to past sales history - I've never found that to be a problem ... transparancy is a generally a good thing...

However, in those limited instances, in which some privacy is desired, there are other ways ... ie. not being specific about the price in public, advertising it only in private forums, etc.

The reason I'm making this an issue is that as more and more people add spaces and other nonsense to their for sale listings, the utility of the sales forums here are degraded; become less profiessional.

Ron

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Man you are trippin'...
Just because you haven't found it to be a problem...doesn't mean it isn't one...

Also....If you haven't figured out that the symbol * is not actually allowed in a real life URL you might be in the wrong business...imho

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The mods can make the judgement when he/she finds the ridiculous title.

Working smarter - not harder.

Who cares about the degrading of the forums? The look changes every minute.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whatever the mods decided would be fine with me, but if it were changed I wouldnt post any of my names, domain parking is how i make money and if i posted names without spaces they would appear higher than my parked links especially with misspells that get top billing

topfetch

ShaiNeubauer.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
personally i cant understand why anyone would have a problem with something like exa*mple.com. Buyers have to realize that some sellers dont want there domains showing up in the SE results and that this will ultimately help the buyer as well. It might remind some of spam but if you know the reason behind it you should have no problem with it. The excuse that its hard to read or you might get confused is pathetic, just make sure you look carefully when you read it shouldnt be too hard if your serious about buying a domain. They are allowing to post this way example(dot)com or example(.)com as I was told by a mod.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If everyone posted their domains with astrisks, spaces, etc in them, the for sale listings here would become useless.

Personally, when I see a domain for sale listed in such a manner, I figure the seller isn't being honest; hiding something.

Why play games? ... my vew is, either publicly list the entire domain without the nonsense --OR-- explain the domain is confidential and will only reveal it privately upon request.

On a related note, very often, despite efforts by sellers to obscure their public listings with astrisks, etc one, with experience, can still find many such listings.

Ron

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So decide what is your problem...the attempt to get more visibility via legal means, e.g. spacing, asterisks, inverted double-yous - are we competing with your sales? Or that we are supposedly hiding our domains from the Domain Police?

No, I don't want my domains indexed for sale by the Big Brother, Google. If you want to play sleuth, that's on your own personal time, go ahead & have fun with it. I will format my ad the way I feel more fit, if I can add a picture of me singing on a horse dressed like Alexander the Great, I will.

Get a life people.

topfetch

ShaiNeubauer.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex thank you very much. Finally someone has some sense here. If you have a problem with us not wanting our domains sales threads to come up on google because you "figure" the domainer has something to hide then dont buy those names. We do it not as an attempt to "hide" something but as a way to protect us and the potential buyers from having others find out what price was paid for the name. You people need to grow up and look past this if it still bothers you after knowing this fact.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

It so simple and easy to understand - How many times that I have to say so people can understand.

Little by little we will turn DNF forums to be the government Forums:
"Too many rules with too many people to run & enforce and nothing is done"

topfetch

ShaiNeubauer.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It so simple and easy to understand - How many times that I have to say so people can understand.

Some people just dont seem to understand this and continue to make this an issue. The rules have been made and they absolutely make sense, those who dont like it can be dumb and hurt themselves and avoid purchasing a name they want because they didnt like the way the seller advertised it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom