Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

English word on a cctld??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyDomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Ain't this kind of stupid?? I see thousands of dollars being spent on these every week.

Take .mx for instance, wouldn't you want a spanish domain not english??

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on the ccTLD imho.

.IN does very well with English keywords, but then the online population in India is mostly English speaking.

For .mx I would assume that spanish keywords do better.

NetRico

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In most cases I agree that ccTLDs should be in the native language. In fact, I was very surprised to see names like Atlanta.mx and Boston.mx in Latona's recent TRAFFIC auction. In my opinion, those domains were "poster children" for really bad ccTLD registration decisions. However, I think that there are certain English-language keywords that might make sense in any ccTLD. Strong, single-word travel-related names come to mind ... "fly", "travel", "vacation", "hotels", etc. would make sense to me in any extension for a country that is, in fact, a travel and tourism destination, especially for English-speaking travelers.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've wondered the same thing in the past and I would **NEVER** buy domains like these for type in traffic - IMO you won't get it.

In most cases I agree that ccTLDs should be in the native language. In fact, I was very surprised to see names like Atlanta.mx and Boston.mx in Latona's recent TRAFFIC auction.

Domains like those could do OK for a travel site (destination.ccTLD) for the ccTLD's country.

But - ones like flywithus.mx, redsportscars.mx would only do well with good SEO - I can't see many people typing those in.

The only other exception would be hacks (comewith.me, comeon.in etc.).

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Ain't this kind of stupid?? I see thousands of dollars being spent on these every week.

Take .mx for instance, wouldn't you want a spanish domain not english??

it all depends. if you do a keyword search on the .com.mx version of google adwords keyword tool and look at exact local search volumes you'll find, in one example, that the term 'New York' has a higher local search volume than does the term 'Nueva York' (near double). Hence why I registered NewYork.mx and not NuevaYork.mx, in that particular instance. However as far as US cities go New York may be a stand alone case. I agree with NetRico that the cities like Atlanta.mx, Boston.mx seemed weak and I did not pick up any other English language cities. Then again ask anyone about City.me (e.g. Missouri.me) and gauge the reaction. It will be quite the opposite and you'll actually find praises heaped to the ceiling. So then ask yourself, what's the difference between a .mx and a .me, besides one letter? The only thing I can think of is the obvious 'Me' identity hack and the level of marketing push behind it. The second aspect is that people actually went and developed on .me and are making something of the extension (regardless of the fact it is the foreign country code of Montenegro.) yes the .me has the ego appeal and memorability and i'm not saying .mx can or will necessarily compete with it on those terms. but take another example, .de. there have been lots of high figure sales on english keyword .de as well.

marly

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its all depends on the country and the business language spoken. Other reasons could be branding and developing. love.us

TooManyDomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input all. Definitely left me with something to think about.

T

tekz999

Well, english is an international language, so in theory, it works in all CCTLDs. But yes, I agree the native language, the mother tongue language spoken in that particular country would be a more suitable choice to develop. I have seen domains like maglignent-mesothelioma-pleural.jp, and it just amuses me, let alone do 99% japanese understand what it means.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most of the time, those are newbie regs - or that's how they should be considered.
English keywords in ccTLDs may be valuable if you stick to common English keywords like fly job news etc.
As a rule the keyword should match the local language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom