Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

enom accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellweather

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even though I am still unsure about using my $6.75 account with directi (like the gd cp) I am still keeping my options open.

I tried an enom account years back, not sure if it was setup right or not then, the person who signed me up as a reseller of his had full access to my account and could make changes to my domain? (I cancelled it when I found that out and moved the domain)

Question is:

Signing up under someone else, do they have access to my domains through their account? or is it 100% secure?

Thanks Jason

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Become an ETP under enom directly, and not a sub account, if you do not trust the reseller above you.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find it hilarious with all the eNom sub-account paranoia. I'll try it again on my personal sub-account but I tried going in under the main and then a personal sub-account and make changes before but from what I remember I couldn't do anything.

The only thing you should have to worry about is the etp raising your prices. As far as that goes I've said it before and will say it many times more I guess. Why would they raise the price on an account that can't be created anymore? Only the dumbest person in the world would do something of this nature and even if that did happen all you would have to do is push your domains to another account with your pricing preference.

All of these eNom account crazy myths were and are just that. Created by a few resellers as a scare tactic to make them look like the goodguys. One of them says becareful who you get you account from on the forums and the horror stories evolve from there. As long as I've been on these forums I have yet to see one post from someone saying the person above them did this, that, or the other with their account.

I've had mine for over two years and I know my original ETP has soldout and no telling how many times it has changed hands after that. Why don't I know and why don't I care? I've never corresponded with anyone other than eNom except for when I first acquired it and probably never will.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no, they can only view the names in your account,but cannot edit any contact info or transfer your domains.

but use GD's advice, if unsure.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read on one reseller's site that you can preserve your price level simply by creating a sub-account under yourself. Don't know if that's accurate, however.

bellweather

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info :)

retail accounts and reseller accounts:

What I would be doing is using it for domains for myself and my customers, that I would register with my CC then bill my customers same as hosting,etc.. If I got a retail, can the domains be pushed easily to another account if I sell some afterwards (turnkeys)?

Thanks Jason

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bellweather said:
If I got a retail, can the domains be pushed easily to another account if I sell some afterwards (turnkeys)?

Yes. And I agree that you are in no real danger from your ETP - go ahead and enom your heart out.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bellweather said:
Question is:

Signing up under someone else, do they have access to my domains through their account? or is it 100% secure?

Thanks Jason

With an account under a $6.95 reseller account - i.e. an $8.95 Retail sub-account, your reseller will be able to do the following if he or she wishes:-

1) Enter your account and view the domain list the same as you.
2) Enter your "Account Info" page and edit it the same as you.
3) Change the "Lock"/"Unlock" facility the same as you.
4) Push your domains to another Enom account the same as you.
5) Change your pricing structure, (which you cannot do) - probably everyone noticed this a while back when the .biz price dropped for a while then went back up again.

(2-4 does not apply to Reseller sub-accounts, which require login password to gain access).

I have several "domain-clueless" customers who need me to do some of these things for them and so I do and they know I do because that's the way they want it.
I also regularly check on new accounts to see if they are used or not and email customers who haven't used them to see if they still want them.
Could I steal their domains - yes if I wanted to, in exactly the same way that I could break into my neighbour's house if I wanted to, but with probably a better chance of being "caught".
The fact is that I don't want to, like any other "trusted" business representative I am rendering a service to my customers and if I abuse their trust my business will be very short-lived.
Use a trusted/recommended reseller and you are unlikely to experience any problems as the others have said - if you end up buying a $6.95 reseller account yourself buy it from a trusted source and check the pricing of each domain extension carefully as you will notice some considerable price differences in those offered for sale.
As has been said, experiences of problems with sub-accounts are very rare, like everything in life there is always a risk but unless you start your own Registrar business you are going to have to trust someone up the line.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MrWeb, you can perform functions in sub-retail accounts (your customers), but not in sub-reseller accounts.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
MrWeb, you can perform functions in sub-retail accounts (your customers), but not in sub-reseller accounts.

Correct - sorry if I misled, my customers are Retail and hence that facility is provided and is how I assist them, post edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom