Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Enom free .info ANNOYING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you remember when Enom were giving away free .info ?

Well now they have expired and they want you to Renew them.

Thing is they never explained the terms to my reseller customers.

So when people registered a .com etc they got a free .info.

Now all my customers are getting .info renewal notices for domains they never wanted - So as of today they are all complaining to me !

As a Reseller I did get an email:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings eNom Reseller,

eNom registered over 1 million .info domains

Almost a year ago eNom secured about one million domain names on behalf of our customers in the new and fast-growing .info top level domain (TLD). We registered the .info equivalent of a selection of all eNom-registered .com names and gave these .info names to our loyal customers as a free gift.

Time to renew (or lose) the .info domain names

The time has now come to renew these .info domain names. Over the next week, these complimentary names will be "activated" (appear in the accounts) so they will receive regular renewal notices, depending on account settings. Unless selected by the customer, these names are NOT on auto-renew and will be deleted and become available again to the general public in September.

Resellers may expect questions from customers

We want to make sure we notify our valued eNom resellers that customers may be asking about this. In addition, you (as a reseller) may want to encourage customers to sign up for multi-year registrations to ensure that the .info domain names are secured for a longer period of time.

Need ideas for increasing your renewal rate? Give your eNom account manager a call.

Thank you,

Your eNom Technology Support Services Staff

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got a bunch of those renewals too, but I'm dropping a lot of them. However I am keeping the one with me last name, slabaugh.info, which I made into a page for people to contact me at. Other then that, I don't want most of them.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just posted this earlier today that I got a ton of my renewal notices earlier today. I knew what they were for but imagine some guy with like 5 domains getting this and not having a clue how they got into his account.

None of my customers have contacted me yet but I am sure they will tomorrow.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Say your customer registered theircompany.com and get the .info free

When the .info "drops" and appears on the drop lists and someone catches it.....

Are we going to have a load of trademark disputes now ?

BG

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My customers and I have also been hit by the trickery of these renewals. As i see it if you did not register the names in the first place, then why the hell should you pay for the renewals???

My hand didnt click the proceed button, nor did i agree to any terms or conditions - The .info's just started appearing in accounts without any explanition...

This is a nightmare, especially when you have so many domains.

Barry.co.uk

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Togoodhlth said:
Yeah I just posted this earlier today that I got a ton of my renewal notices earlier today. I knew what they were for but imagine some guy with like 5 domains getting this and not having a clue how they got into his account.

None of my customers have contacted me yet but I am sure they will tomorrow.

I was one of those guys LOL!

Some of my domains I reged at registerfly got the free .info I guess , but I had no idea about it, and they were never showing in my account. Now I get these notices from enom to verify the whois on these domains (not a renewal notice), so I look and they are registered to me , so now I spend all this time trying to figure out how these got into my name , of course no support tickets were answered, so I find out the deal here on DNF.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find it annoying too.

None of them were any use to me.

They just confuse things for me when I try to keep track of the rest of my domains.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some of my customers are so annoyed now they have turned the renewal notices over to the "local district attorney"............

I'm trying to remember what happened a year ago:

http://www.recycled-traffic.com/news.jsp?newsid=43

The offer came from Afilias and other registers did it to.

Dot Info are that c*** you can't give them away !

UPDATE:

Enom now say this is covered in their online support center:

"Almost a year ago eNom secured about one million domain names on behalf of our customers in the new and fast-growing .info top level domain (TLD). We registered the .info equivalent of many eNom-registered .com names and gave these .info names to our loyal customers. We used our partner registrar, Sipence, to register these domains. Emails were sent in mid October 2004 to our resellers with instructions on how to activate for free, or delete the domains.

The time has now come to renew these .info domain names if you wish to keep them. You are under no obligation to renew the domains. Unless selected by the customer, these names are NOT on auto-renew and will be deleted and become available again to the general public after expiration.

If they were not previously activated by you, we've done so in the last two days. This is why they show up on your list of active domains instead of being listed as they were before under the Redemption/Promotion tab in your account. As they are coming up for renewal, you've just received a renewal notice.

If you would like to renew and use the names during the coming year, each can be processed by using the ADD YEARS button on the domain control panel (or Renew a List) .

If you do not want the .info domain, do nothing and they will expire. These domains will all expire by 9/28/2005 and begin dropping from your account display through the normal process."

DNabc

Web Investor & Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I saw those .info in my account, I was confused, and thought that I had been wrongly billed for those. Fortunately not :)

Together

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
More evidence that eNom is less interested in their clients and more interested in their own bottom line. Greedy and deaf to good suggestions by those who have the most to lose by their short term vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom