Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Enom redirection question

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible with enom.

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have the nameservers set to eNom you can go under "DNS Settings" and configure URL redirects. The last one * (other) is a wildcard that will catch everything and send it to your redirected address. Sometimes it doesn't work the greatest that is why most people into PPC (from what I can tell) like using the nameservers of proredirect, sedoparking, fabulous, etc.

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you have the nameservers set to eNom you can go under "DNS Settings" and configure URL redirects. The last one * (other) is a wildcard that will catch everything and send it to your redirected address. Sometimes it doesn't work the greatest that is why most people into PPC (from what I can tell) like using the nameservers of proredirect, sedoparking, fabulous, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, this * is only for subdomains, and not for 404 redirections (i.e. domain/dir/page)

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
madcamel said:
If I'm not mistaken, this * is only for subdomains, and not for 404 redirections (i.e. domain/dir/page)
No, it works for all.

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
That is not a function of the redirect but rather of the web server that is serving the redirect, madcamel is exactly right.

I agree but at one time I called eNom tech support for a customer and they stated (Jason I think) that they rules they are running for the wildcard catches everything.

BTW, glad to see you JB. Was wondering how you have been the past few months.

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion here, so I set up a demo to clarify things.

Enom redirection passes through the non-domain part of the url....
It does handle everything, but it is up to the server that things are redirected if that results in a 404 error or not.

I set up http://t.8373.info/ to redirect to one server http://t.8373.info/fubar/nopage.html

and http://t.dvdrhelp.org/ to go to another http://t.dvdrhelp.org/fubaredalso/nopage.html

one has a rule to handle and page names sent it it and the other does not, so for the first you get the 404 error and for the second you get a page, not matter what you put to the right of the domain name. In doint this I did notice some issues with the enom redirect, but they do not relate to this issue directly.

Enom handles the redirect, includeing whatever is to the right of the domain name in the url, but it is up to the server to handle the request, as enom just passes it through.

So the question, of how to make it serve something for any page, that being the url stripped of all but the protocol/domain part, applies to the server end not the enom end. You need to set up the web server the request winds up at to handle requests for any page/url sent to it.

PS, Thanks for the greeting , I am hoping I will have more time to be online again finally.

interlution

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
eNom doesn't redirect 404's. (it displays page not founds)

I couldn't get 404 homepage redirecting to work with them either.

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That makes it clearer. They (eNom) just pass it through and it is the job of the server you have the redirection pointed to for handling the errors.

interlution

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the 404 is handled by the web server. I'm refering to eNom's framed redirects where they act as DNS and web server. They don't redirect the 404's.

If he's using eNom's DNS with his name servers or using eNom's name servers to redirect to his web server then he can setup a .htaccess and configure his web server to redirect the 404's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom