Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Enom's new auction process

Status
Not open for further replies.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ENOM.COM
New Club Drop and Auction Process

We are making changes to the Club Drop and Auction process, which will go into effect by the end of next week. Once live, you will notice the changes on the website.

A minimum bid of $30 will be required to get into private auctions.
If the maximum bid is below $30 with two or more bidders, and we get the domain, it will go into a public reverse auction starting at $60.00. Your initial bid will be carried over.
If you are awarded a domain and do not pay eNom, a $10 processing fee will be assessed to your account. Daily emails are sent to the account holder to advise you we are unable to process the order.
Any successful bid above $5,000 MUST be paid by wire transfer within 7 days (increased grace period applies only to bids over $5000.)

For complete details and examples, please see the Club Drop agreement: http://www.enom.com/terms/clubdrop_agreement.asp

If you have any questions about our Club Drop program, please give us a call or log a request in the support center, http://www.enom.com/help/

Why don't the companies learn by the mistakes of others?

Namewinner and Pool changed their auction process and immediately lost market
share.

Will this effect your bidding at Enom?

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I will back off for sure.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe they are thinking they can direct all of their resources towards higher dollar names instead of chasing reg fee domains.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Why don't the companies learn by the mistakes of others?

Namewinner and Pool changed their auction process and immediately lost market
share.

Will this effect your bidding at Enom?

They should not have made this so complicated. It is incredibly stupid. I have not even figured out how I will bid now.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to grb a lot of names via clubdrop. Names which I figured no one else would really want so i put a minimum bid at enom. $10 plus the reg fee isnt too bad and I felt a lot safer than risking the hand reg or maybe forgetting to hand reg around drop time and missing he name.
Now i wont do this anymore.

M

mole

hiOsilver said:
They should not have made this so complicated. It is incredibly stupid. I have not even figured out how I will bid now.

Thanks, I was just looking at my email on this eNom notification and wondering maybe I was not as bright as I thought as I'm confused as to what to do. :huh:

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
enom is trying to drive up the pre-bidding..... so they know which names to go after, even the crappy ones that will fetch $20/$30

if you are the only one who places a bid for a domain then you should still be able to get it at the $10 club drop fee + registration fee..... but if there is more then one person interested in that name (but pre-bid was still only $10 from both sides) then the domain goes into a "public reverse style auction" with the buy-it-now price set at $60 which will decrease with time??

basically if you want to get the domain in a private auction you need to pre-bid right away to $30.... maybe there will be somebody else with you in that auction.... maybe not???

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mike031 said:
basically if you want to get the domain in a private auction you need to pre-bid right away to $30.... maybe there will be somebody else with you in that auction.... maybe not???

If you bid $ 30. and no else enters the name on their drop list.

You pay $ 30.

Enom thinks they will make more money this way. And, they might.

However, Enom's new bidding process will also benefit Snapnames, GD, Pool and NW.

With Pool and NW on the ropes, why would they want to prop them back up?

If their new program was simple and straight forward, I doubt we would be
complaining.

When, will these companies learn that simplicity is the key?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Now GoDaddy / WWD will be a key player. They have been grabbing a lot of nice names recently.

NameRegistration

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
enom said:
A minimum bid of $30 will be required to get into private auctions.
If the maximum bid is below $30 with two or more bidders, and we get the domain, it will go into a public reverse auction starting at $60.00. Your initial bid will be carried over.

So if you bid $30 you can get the domain for $30 but if you bid less you'll have to pay at least $60. Wouldn't be easier just to set a minimum bid of $30? :huh:

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Now GoDaddy / WWD will be a key player. They have been grabbing a lot of nice names recently.

Really? have not seen any good!

M

mole

I think eNom should be upfront and just say they are increasing the minimum bid from $10 to $30 from now on. I think most would understand and support this move. Every name coming in just loads down the available bandwidth for them to do split second grabs, so doing this might just help them thin out the hay truck.

Club Drop got me a name I was willing to seal bid for $500+ at Pool.com last week for $10. So give and take, I say.

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Club Drop got me a name I was willing to seal bid for $500+ at Pool.com last week for $10. So give and take, I say.

That's an important statement Mole.. it is how many/most in this room exist. You can not afford to pay 500 for 'every' name (it's give and take). In the end speculators provide the cash that makes the machine run. I think if the auction houses want to keep the cashflow going, they need to to learn to leave a buck or two for the next guy.

I understand trying to maximize revenues and there is certainly alot of cash around to grab expiring names. But it's important to note that most of the cash being thrown around today comes from the PPC revenue generated through traffic on names acquired at "yesterday's" prices... a long time ago.

The assorted auction houses would be wise to look down to their client base. It's not the newbies with a million bucks burning a hole in their pocket who are fueling the daily fireworks -- and such a person (if one existed) couldn't waltz through the door today and build a sustainable biz from nothing, on good expiring names, at these auction prices. Today's auction prices are basically set by seasoned domain investors who are dollar cost averaging.

That said, this Enom change could well be a subtle ploy to monitor traffic for X number of days (they are holding names live after all) .. they keep any sleeper names that do well on PPC then sell the crap to the suckers in here (us all).

If that does happen and the big and medium boys out there who collectively spend 100k a day get a sense that the opportunity to dollar cost average is up.. Then there is less incentive for those with the fat wallets to tune-in everyday.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IT Web Team said:
looks like eNom has quite a few surprises for us lately....I wonder what's next?
.org, .biz,.info,.us drops maybe? :-D

If they go for the other TLD's with the new bidding process.

I have doubts about its overwhelming success.

Enom is basically going for "quality, not quantity".
And, that field is already crowded. (Pool, Snapnames, etc.)

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

why all this excitment ?

- the best days of enom are over anyway , just compare what they caught 6 month ago and what they are catching now - i am not saying they are no good ,but they are not as fantastic as they where.

- unless enom has another 'itrump' up their 'esleeve' or unless they are pulling some 'istrings' they will loosing business to (believe it or not) 'big'[go]daddy ,as many 'second' class domain names will be backordered at godaddy .

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Site said:
So if you bid $30 you can get the domain for $30 but if you bid less you'll have to pay at least $60. Wouldn't be easier just to set a minimum bid of $30? :huh:

No. No es asi.

If you bid on a domain and no one else bids at least $30, the domain will go into the reverse auction.

The reverse auction means (roughly) that the price starts off at US$60 and progressively reduces until it reaches the minimum price, which is presumably a $10 bid, as "your" name wouldn't have got into the reverse auction in the first place unless it had been bid on.

So you could still get the domain for US$10 plus reg fee, providing noone else takes a fancy to it at a higher price.

On a different point, it looks like the current Bid Permutation A is in conflict with Bid Permutation D, and I suspect that BP A is in fact incorrect, as BP D will benefit enom more (in theory).

p.s I used to like the Club Drop when names could be picked up relatively easily for US$6.95 :-(

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wolfis.com said:

why all this excitment ?

- the best days of enom are over anyway , just compare what they caught 6 month ago and what they are catching now - i am not saying they are no good ,but they are not as fantastic as they where.

- unless enom has another 'itrump' up their 'esleeve' or unless they are pulling some 'istrings' they will loosing business to (believe it or not) 'big'[go]daddy ,as many 'second' class domain names will be backordered at godaddy .

Enom is pretty much crap today.

The names they are getting are third rate, they still have rampant shill bidding and they charge a 3% penalty to use a credit card.

I think they are eHistory...

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll just stop using them as I have pretty much stopped using NW and pool. Havent used NW for almost a year, and have used pool 3 times maybe in the last year.

SN is more honest, but for expensive names. Enom had a great thing going, too bad they are blowing it.
that explains the new change int eh web design. I was first to note that it over attracted attention to club drop versus the old page. They are trying to get more and more newbies in the market of drops, and rip them off really.
Anyways,i believe unless one has very very deep pockets, it is impossible to enter thre domain market now and expect to make any money. It has been like this for a while.
If you werent here a while back, its too late now...

M

mole

nitronet said:
Enom is pretty much crap today.

The names they are getting are third rate, they still have rampant shill bidding and they charge a 3% penalty to use a credit card.

I think they are eHistory...

Well, the shill bidding part I agree which is what worries me most at Club Drop. I think security should be a lot tighter and $100 body checked off a working credit card first before those shill terrorists are allowed into the polling stations.

Apart from that, I give eNom a free fly zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom