Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

escrow.com question

Status
Not open for further replies.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently closed on a $xx,xxx deal via escrow.
I was sent the checks and deposited them into my bank.
Normally, I was able to access the funds the next business day (i.e. write a cashiers check against them), but this time I was told there would be an 11 business day hold put on the funds.

To say the least I was very dissapointed as I believe that escrow.com checks are standard bank checks and not personal checks. I've heard of holds on personal checks to clear, but not on this type of check.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if my bank is just trying to use and abuse me by holding these funds and obviously collecting interest on them for 11 business days.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have had a bank place a ten day hold on a $100,000+ insurance company check I deposited for a former employer who became very upset when he found out what the bank had done, especially given the long history he had with the bank. he contacted the bank officer vs. the teller who had made that independent decision, and the hold was released within 24 hours.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I plan to go through similar steps this week.

mark said:
i have had a bank place a ten day hold on a $100,000+ insurance company check I deposited for a former employer who became very upset when he found out what the bank had done, especially given the long history he had with the bank. he contacted the bank officer vs. the teller who had made that independent decision, and the hold was released within 24 hours.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's part of their (the banks) SOP to hold checks for "given period" of time.

the interest they make on ten days, X's the # of accounts, where this practice is executed = $$$$

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
11 business days seems pretty ridiculous. I would speak to them and even consider switching banks.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www said:
11 business days seems pretty ridiculous. I would speak to them and even consider switching banks.

Especially for this type of check. It all depends on the bank. Mine usually takes 24 hours otherwise it is availabel immediately. I think it also depends on the amount of the check vs. what you have in the account.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My bank does the same thing, so I went to Bank of America where the check is written, and have them order the money. Occasionally they will have the funds in the vault, but will usually have to order it. If you have them order it before 11am, you will be able to cash the check the next afternoon.

- or -

You could go to BoA and have them exchange the check for a cashiers check. I think it will cost you $5. It's just like cash, and will not be held for 11 days. I prefer to actually hold that much money for a few minutes. Plus, by walking into my bank and depositing $$,$$$ a few times, they all know me by name now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom