Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.eu domains - The view of a registrar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domainfux

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Just found this in a domain blog of domaintools.

===================================

The .eu view from an accredited .eu registrar

Hi all together.

With interest I have read the blog entry and the comments about the .eu domain names.

I am an accredited .eu registrar from the beginning, which was called Sunrise period!

Starting with my official accredition at the Eurid I recieved lots of requests for domain registrations under .eu. There is no doubt that there have been "trademark owners" applying for the best names with "generic trademarks", but this things also happened with other tlds as we all know.

Let me come to some statistics, which I and partner registrars (I work together with around 10 accredited registrars) have seen in the first months of the .eu names.

In the early beginning (first sunrise phase) there have been mostly requests from companies with registered trademarks and public bodies; the requests from generic trademark holders, have only been around 15% of the total requests. Big and famous companies tried to secure their domain names as early as possible from the beginning and this trend also has been recognized for the second Sunrise registration phase (company names / family names).

After 4 weeks of the second sunrise phase, me and some partner registrars recognized that there has been the first time a lower interest then all the weeks before, especially not so many applications / requests from existing trademark holders.

Since the beginning of our accreditation the requests for the normal registration phase become more and more from day to day until the official launch.

As an officially accredited registrar we signed in the contract that we will send the domain registration attempts to the Eurid (official registry) exactly in the order, we have recieved them of our customers.

As we have been sure that the most interesting names will be given away in the early early beginning, we have decided to inform the customers to submit the best names first, and we make order limits trying to provide best possible chances for our (mostly long term) customers. And fortunately our customers understood this :)

You all know: Success with domain names is based on good and mostly generic names - not on third class names!

Nearly each person / company who was interested in getting good .eu names had the chance to get some of them, but they had to read the rules exactly and of course they had to work with MORE then only one registrar (provider) to increase chances.

After the final processment of general registration phase the demand for names was high again! People have seen that there are so many names registered now and decided to register their most important names, which have not be registered, before anybody else will do so.

Around 2 weeks later there was the greatest hype of new registration wishes here.

Then the new registration wishes calmed down and the first domain requests from the market began to come.

Companies from whole Europe which do want to have for example generic names and have missed them during general registration asked the actual owners to sell them their domain names. I know many deals from own customers, and many is not 30 ;-) it is much much more!

I helped them to secure their names, to transfer them and to do an owner change. I know the prices and that most of the (our) deals are not listed in any domain trade platform like Sedo, Afternic, ..... Some of them has been cheap, some of them has been really expensive - but the companies seems to see the value of "their" domain names under .eu increasing.

Ok, I am not an expert in domain prices, but I am trying to be better informed since the .eu start and I have a better "feeling" now which domain prices are ok for the markets and the interest of new owners.

The problems of the .eu domains would be another fact: some things happened also that causes problems, possibly time for another comment!

Let me come to the actual situation here with .eu:

After the first year of registration lots of names dropped, because of different reasons: unpaid invoices, speculative registrations, ....

The .eu names, which are registered currently, are not only owned by speculators of course, or (I do not like to say this word) domaingrabbers. Big companies and private persons, small companies and public bodys - the spread of the eu allocation is really wide.

After the high number of drops, the quality of the registered eu domain names has increased extremely. I also recognize that people are willing to pay more for buying eu domain names.

The best market in my opinion for good eu domains are the following sorts of domains:

GENERIC domains, which are in English or German language, are mostly searched.
GENERIC domains, which are equal to company names or family names.
SHORT domains

At the moment I do only see a small market for fantasy words like ahububo.eu :) , which are brandable but not easy to remember. Decide yourself: What do you like more? www.carmarket.eu or www.car-millers-best-cars.eu ?

I think when the .eu TLD becomes more popular and famous that also this names will have a future. Driving around through Europe often and watching the advertisments I DO see now also EU names in newspapers, I hear them in the radio, but at the moment I could nearly count them still.

The request for new registrations is increasing here again since 2 months, so I am looking forward to have an interesting time with .eu in the next years.

Hope that this comment has gained your interest and sorry for any mistakes I made....
Looking forward for your comments too....

=================================

I found this interesting to read and to publish here....

Domainfux

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Would be great, thank you. If yes please PM me.

@moderators please close this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom