Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.EU Spring 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has recently given approval for the establishment of the new .EU Top Level Domain.

.EU will become the premier top level domain for members of the European Union. Apply for your .EU domain now to ensure that you are part of the initial launch of .EU. "

When will dot-EU be launched?
Dot EU is currently expected to be launched in early 2003.

Who will be eligible for a dot-EU domain name?
Although no nexus requirements have been officially set, there may be registration limitations related to Registrant's and/or administrative contact's local presence in the EU.

Will trademark holders be able to register in advance?
It is expected that there will be a sunrise period where trademark holders can register trademark corresponding domains, before the public. As soon as the required details have been specified by the registry will enable add-ons for trademark details on your application.

i wonder if .eu will stand a chance?

we've got .com, country codes and .info all in the pot right now fighting it out in europe - can't help wondering what .eu can bring that isn't already covered.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I managed to grab the first ques with my .eu registrar to round out my development portfolio. Regional domains make sense to me.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
i wonder if .eu will stand a chance?

we've got .com, country codes and .info all in the pot right now fighting it out in europe - can't help wondering what .eu can bring that isn't already covered.

I agree with you safesys. From my experience, most European companies are primarily interested in the national tld, and often disregard the .com, etc., unless they have interests in the USA. Of course, it is available, they'll snatch it up.

I find consumers in Europe, far more likely to do business with a .de, .it, .co.uk, .gr, etc, within their own borders. Hence, the .eu domain seems surpuflous ....

G

GIRL18

Hi boys !

I saw a site where you can register .eu domains. Is that a scam?

What do you think of the value of .eu? How much will it worth from the value of .com?
?%x.com=.eu ?

Appraise please : car.eu, auto.eu, book.eu, music.eu

Just
GIRL18

You cannot register .eu domains yet, so yes, this is most likely a scam...

-t

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've pre-registered a number of names with a reputable register.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You CAN register .eu domains!! As a matter of fact all generic .eu domains had already been registered like country names.

Edition: Actually I saw some .eu domains registered and check their whois info and I don't know how they registered them. You can pre-register .eu domains

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirAlexFerguson
You CAN register .eu domains!! As a matter of fact all generic .eu domains had already been registered like country names.
where?

G

GiorgioHollywood

Here Italy!!!
Below all about ".eu" domain names:)
------------------------------------------------------------
1. Sunrise Period. Beginning in late June and ending in late July, Afilias
will offer a 30 day "sunrise" period during which anyone with a registered
national trademark can apply through a registrar for a .info domain name
corresponding to the trademark. Trademark data will be provided at the time
of application and the term of the domain name registration will be for at
least 5 years. To assure fair and equal access during the sunrise period,
registrars will first collect applications and deliver them to Afilias.
Afilias will then implement a multi-round batch processing system in which
it will randomly select applications from each registrar's batch. The World
Intellectual Property Association (WIPO) will administer a challenge
procedure through which any third party may challenge these sunrise period
registrations to ensure that they comply with the applicable requirements.
This challenge process will be available for approximately 120 days after
Afilias begins accepting applications for .info domain names from the
general public, ending in November.
2. Domain Name Application and Registration. Within 15 days after the
conclusion of the sunrise period, Afilias will begin accepting applications
for .info domain names from the general public. To ensure that ordinary
Internet users have an equal chance to register names during the initial
launch phase, .info names will be registered using a multi-round batch
process similar to the one used for sunrise period applications. Using this
process, Afilias will randomly select applications from batches submitted
by each registrar. This process is an alternative to a pure
first-come-first-served system which could operate to the unfair advantage
of those with mechanized registration scripts. This batch process will last
approximately three weeks, after which Afilias will process applications on
a real-time basis.
3. .info Begins Operations. Names awarded during the sunrise period will
become operational one week after the beginning of the general application
and registration process. The remainder of the awarded .info names will
become operational promptly after Afilias processes them.

GIORGIOHOLLYWOOD.

How can you even consider taking pre-registrations before the registry publishes ANY guidelines on how the initial domains will be handled.

We don' t know if there will be a LandRush, if there will be a trademark process (Sunrise), if .EU will be limited to companies with an office in the European Union, open to anyone, etc.

How can you even THINK of taking someone's money before you know what you can even offer them?

-t

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm pre-registered with a reputable firm.
No money upfront.

Seems to be a new way to bring up panic: pre-register here....!

Ok, so why do firms offer this?

We will offer pre-registrations as soon as the registry rules are defined, and we have some idea of what these registrations will cost. Pre-registrations for new TLDs are nothing new.

Pre-registrations are not a bad thing, but to offer them before you even know what the registry rules will be is simply not good business in my book.

Some people certainly will disagree with me and that's what competition is all about, but I think it's simply disingenuous to offer something that you don't yet understand, or even know if you will be able to sell.

"We will sell no TLD before it's time."

-t

L

lhague

.....I have PRE-registered a few .eu's for the International Corporation I work for, pre-registration does not guarantee you the name, there are a few registration companies who have set up a database where businesses can submitt .eu names they wish to own, when D-Day is announced there will be a rush from all pre-reg's and it is a case of first come first served....I have links to all the .eu legislation etc etc but not here at home, if anyone is interested in reading the black and white politics of it all I can give you the links.... All Pre-registered .EU's are mainly for businesses to ensure they get the brand or trade name they want, pre-reg's will be pushed through the system first, it doesnt guarantee you ownership but it gives you a leading edge....

There is no charge for pre-registering, the only costs incurred are if your pre-registered name goes through and you become owner of that .eu, then you pay for the actual registration.

Safesys and Namebox.....you are right in saying many businesses in Europe may only be interested in the .com or their local ccTLD but there is great value in the .eu for international corporation like the American healthcare corporation I work for, purely from a competition point of view involving mainly Generic names for particular industries i.e. I have pre-regged for our Corporation healthcare.eu, Renal.eu back in Feb 2000 as well as our Company name .EU and many others relative to our European business and the nature of our business, there are other companies out there owning the same name so we want to make sure we get what we can by Pre-registering, again it doesnt guarantee we get it, but we are in for a better chance because we got in the pre-reg system right in the beginning.

For Companies that are international and have offices in most European Coutries, .EU is extremely valuable, very competitive especially for Companies who have more than one brand name associated with their trade....

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom