Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.eu

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Which place would be the best to try and pre-book some .eu when it is released? And I don't have to pay if they don't get it right? do I pay right away when I order the pre-reg and then my cash back if they don't get it?

And which place is cheapest?

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok

what are your personal opinions on them?

M

mole

.eu has limited potential imho - I doubt they will attract the serious attention of US speculators and those outside Europe, give all the restrictions in place at the moment.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.eu will be

- Another hype
- Another unwanted, not needed extension
- Another major disaster

See, here in Europe every country already has their own extension.And no, we don't consider Europe to be a "country" or identify as Europeans so much that we'd have a need for .eu really.

Everything else is wishful thinking.

I'll stay away from .eu completely - and that being german, pro-Europe and having some knowledge about domains.

I'd recommend you stay away from .eu as well.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree.
I think the potential of the .eu domains is unlimited and has a potential to reach an incredibly large market.
The only drawback I see, is that it will take quite some time until it reaches its full potential.

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by seeker

The only drawback I see, is that it will take quite some time until it reaches its full potential.

Indeed, that is a HUGE drawback for the speculator.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
taking 'some' time and taking 'a long time' is different.
I guess Einstein said it best when he said time is relative :)

look at .US
I think it is a great ccTLD. Ok, its not a .com, nor will .eu be one

But If you are into developing good solid domains for a large market, then I would speculate again :)

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
some is subjective and varies between speculators :D

though I agree that .eu is worth investing in but stay away from those 3-word domains..

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am a believer in "branding" non-com extensions as a way to generate interest in a particular ccTLD or in this case ggTLD (GeoGraphical TLD).

Problem with .EU is that to everyone outside Europe it really means "nothing". It sounds like "eeeewww", which is not a good way to go from a marketing perspective. This is a double "whammy" against the ggTLD in my opinion

THEREFORE, if you were to buy these names for speculative purposes only go for generics that Europeans would buy. Since American's apparently can't speculate on this domain, my guess is you won't even get tepid interest on Domain Forums located here in North America. So you would have to peddle these things on European Domain Forums which will limit the scope of your buying population, THUS lowering price. Another thing you have to take into consideration is that MORE tlds on on their way. This isn't necessarily bad news for ccTLDs/ggTLDs but isn't good news either. Especially given our "global economy" appetite.

If you are going to speculate in this environment, the domains you should buy need to have "liquidity" to them. Meaning you should be able to "flip" them the next day after buying. This is a change from an earlier position I once took. I used to think that buying today, to sell down the road until the "domain" catches interest was a good way to go. NOT... I think a more prudent way to speculate is to give the domain/TLD a "liquidity" test: If you think you could sell it the next day for more, then buy. If you are "not sure", skip it!!! (NOTE: This is advice for the speculator----not for developers ---which for developers would be to go with the "brandable" extension and stick with it---don't be so worried about liquidity, as much as the "marketability" of the domain)

The only reason why .US has worked out for speculators is that apparently anyone can buy them AND their is some interest in the market for them here in the states. Time will tell, but certainly you cannot go wrong here with Generic Dot US names. Unfortunately, I was late to this market and don't have a lot.

HERE is my "Domain Investment" strategy:

Right now I am "shorting" US, and opting for .ws and .St at reg fees. On the gTLD side, I am going with "true".org names (i.e www.USTennis.org). I am neutral on .biz right now, and will only buy true generics. With .info's the names HAVE to be very "niche" oriented. They don't have to be as "generic" to be "good". I haven't totally given up on .com's, but unless I win the lottery and could get some quality "type-in" names, I don't really have the patience for average .com domains---in other words: "Been there, don't that".

edit: Almost forgot about dot com's ugly step child: .net

I don't really have an opinion either way on .net other than to say Coffee.net is about the best name .net out there and if Bob ever wants to sell it I may try to go after it. I do have (1) net though--- Cuba-Travel.net (whoohoo!!)

M

mole

Originally posted by izopod
I don't really have an opinion either way on .net other than to say Coffee.net is about the best name .net out there

I thought inter.net was :huh:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DNMole

I thought inter.net was :huh:

probably is from a speculator's point-of-view, but as a developer, I like "www.Coffee.net"!! :-D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
btw: I think I am done with "editing" my earlier post. ---lol

I just think there is a lot to think about before "diving" in the "Domain Speculation Game"....

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

..only go for generics that Europeans would buy.

See , that's the misconception here.

So what kind of names do "Europeans" buy ?

Excuse me, but "we" speak different languages here like spanish, french, german, etc etc - so in which language do you wanna buy the .eu names then ? French ? Do so, but the only ones interested in a french .eu might be the...french. Ok, so buy an english language .eu domain instead ? Well the only ones interested in an english .eu might be the Brits.You get it.

"Might be" ="If at all" because as said a zillion times before each european country have their own TLD already and guess what - there is no "european" language so how in the world do you wanna register a .eu that appeals or targets to all Europeans at the same time ?!

Mark my words: .eu= BIG FLOP (except for the registry maybe)

M

mole

.eu is a restricted extension which hopefully will dampen the damaging onslaught of speculators. But I agree partially with beatz, it'll be difficult to beat co.uk and .de in mass acceptance.

2) Who is entitled to register a .eu domain name ?

The EC Regulation No 733/2002 of 22 April 2002 on the implementation of the .eu Top Level Domain determines who will be allowed to apply for a .eu domain name.

The following categories of companies, organisations and individuals will be able to register a .eu domain:

1. undertakings having their registered office, central administration or principal place of business within the European Community;

2. organisations established within the European Community without prejudice to the application of national law;

3. natural persons resident within the European Community.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz

See , that's the misconception here.

So what kind of names do "Europeans" buy ?

Excuse me, but "we" speak different languages here like spanish, french, german, etc etc - so in which language do you wanna buy the .eu names then ? French ? Do so, but the only ones interested in a french .eu might be the...french. Ok, so buy an english language .eu domain instead ? Well the only ones interested in an english .eu might be the Brits.You get it.

If you don't know what to "buy", then don't buy. It's as easy as that Beatz.

Since we know Germany has a strong internet following it would make sense to buy words that appeal to the germans. England is not a good market for .eu as they haven't been not been too hot on the whole "European Union" concept. And rightfully so.

Now before you say no respectful german company will buy a .eu, then you would be ignoring the fact a lot of .de names are taken. Most if not all the good dot com german names have been take to. What would be left??? Dot EU??? Maybe...

It would seem to be a logical conclusion to say that at least some of the "good" german dot .eu names would garner some interest. For the reasons stated above, and because Germany has a large internet population. Big enough to sell a lot of dot .eu names?? Probably not, but will most likely do better than dot .cn.

btw: You seem especially bitter about dot .eu Beatz... I would hate to have my "heritage" being flushed down the toilet too for the "good of the "whole".

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"bitter" - uh ?!

All i'm saying is .eu will be a flop for good reasons.

Btw - most european countries are not "too hot" on the EU concept, including but not limited to germans.That's prolly one of 2 key points here i try to bring across - we don't care about that EU thing in our daily (business) life AT ALL.

Second point is - be assured most german businesses will go for the net, .info or even .biz name before they'd go for .eu if the .de or .com is taken; but much more likely they will just figure a new domain name and go with .de

Nothing to do with bitterness, just trying to hint you on business reality here in germany/europe.

But hey it's your money :)

Unregistered

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DNMole
.eu has limited potential imho - I doubt they will attract the serious attention of US speculators and those outside Europe, give all the restrictions in place at the moment.

yo man, europe is another big domain market.

Can't you see most .de names on Sedo were sold at high prices?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
"bitter" - uh ?!

All i'm saying is .eu will be a flop for good reasons.

Btw - most european countries are not "too hot" on the EU concept, including but not limited to germans.That's prolly one of 2 key points here i try to bring across - we don't care about that EU thing in our daily (business) life AT ALL.

But hey it's your money :)

and I assume you have some data to back that up?
reliable data?

as far as I know, and a quick search in euro stat will proove just the opposite of what you are saying.

It's one thing to disagree on the value of this gTLD, but to use non existant and/or imaginary positions to back up your statement is in the least 'funny'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom