Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Ever heard about .bit domain ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello

I wonder how many people know about .bit domain names ?

They work on some special DNS system I don't have the technical skill to explain about it in details basically they use the network of a crypto-currency called Namecoin NMC.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly... it is an internet (such being a network of computers, with the purpose being the exchange of information), that is not the internet, in the way we know it.

Now, while I don't buy into this whole "bitcoin" deal, this network is built on what is actually, in my opinion, a very strong concept.

The naming system of "the internet", as we know it, being under the jurisdiction of governments of sorts, allows governments to have control of it. Meaning that as much free speech as we may seemingly be provided, we more or less remain in the clutches of certain governmental authorities.

.bit, however, appears to be an independent network. A private one, not dependent on the naming system that is facilitated by the hyper text transfer protocol (http).

Very similar to an in-office network in an enterprise setting, which allows for fully confidential email messages to be sent between employees, but not outside of the physical office.

The bit network, would appear to function in the same way, in the sense that it's a private network, to the effect of an intranet. But it is meant to behave as if it was an internet.

I'm only speaking off of the top of my head now, but entry to the DNS system for .bit requires admission of some sort. Kind of like a speakeasy.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Anyone can delegate pseudo TLDs as long as they run a nameserver.

D

Deleted member 5660

As far as the DNS is concerned, it is like any non-icann root domain so you need to change your DNS in your network settings to get it to work.

.bit is losing popularity but the concept is like Bitcoin where the system is decentralized. As long as people mine namecoins and maintain the network the system continues. Since it is decentralized nobody can take domain away domain unless they get enough computer power which exceeds the combines computer power of everyone else mining Namecoins. That means no UDRP, no takedowns, and no loss of a domain is possible. However, since usage is going down it is not that secure and I would not waste time with it. Of course if you have few graphics cards you can experiment with it. There is barrier to admission, that is one of the main points of the concept. There is no choke point and there is no way to cut off countries, individuals, or people you don't like and there is no way to stop things, enforce court orders, etc. as long as the mining and p2p node network is maintained. It is all ruled by the users and mathematics and not politicians, lawyers, and regulators.

As for Bitcoin, the concept is hard to grasp but once you realize how it works it is obvious that such a system is here to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom