Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Everybody wants this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Seems everybody now is looking for domains with traffic or linkpop
or OV scores.

Whatever happened to "Just give me a nice domain name"?

Now in the "domains wanted section" you see adds for domains with PR levels requested.

Does anybody besides me, "make-up" domain names anymore?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by biggedon
Hi All

Seems everybody now is looking for domains with traffic or linkpop
or OV scores.

Whatever happened to "Just give me a nice domain name"?

Now in the "domains wanted section" you see adds for domains with PR levels requested.

It's all about the traffic, not the name (in the examples you mentioned). If you own a surfboard site, and find a name with 500 inbound links from watersports sites, etc... you have instant targeted traffic.

Originally posted by biggedon
Does anybody besides me, "make-up" domain names anymore?

Huh?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have "made-up" a few names which I have been able to sell.

Sometimes it seems these names sell faster than those that come from drops or expired listings, even those that have some traffic and links.

It just seems to me that most have lost or never had the creative zeal!

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon ... most people that have traffic names are NOT trying to sell them, but keep them for their longterm income stream.

But hey, to each their own.

Shaun

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by aactive
Exactly. There are different schools or streams of domainers. Some don't care about the hyphens or length but more the traffic: as GiantDomains has rightly pointed out, inbound links translate to instant traffic. (Of course, traffic does not necessarily translate into sales.)

Personally, I'm more into the word or words themselves. I even look into the actually display of alphabets (including upper and lower cases combination) to decide if a name is good. Type-in's may give you traffic or exposure (in search engines), but good words (even made-up ones) make your name brandable.

Personal preferences, I'd say. But the truth is: generic names always sell better. ;)

hhunterjr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think that it's better to get a name that people already know the meaning of - than to try to make up a name that's real cute and try to sell it to buyers.

I realize that there are already 22 million .com registrations, so you basically have to "make up something" for new .com registrations because all of the real one word, and two word phrases are already gone.

That's why I've been concentrating on the new .us and .info extensions - and even .biz. I think that in the long run, it's going to be easier for me to sell supplies.us or humidifier.us than it will be to sell something made up like "Suppliesforyouandmeandhim.com" or "humidifiertoputmoistureintheair.com"

In my mind, it will take a couple of years for the new extensions to be accepted by the general public, but I still think its better to have a real word or real two word phrase with the new extensions (than to just totally make something up and put a .com at the end.)

M

mole

Originally posted by hhunterjr
In my mind, it will take a couple of years for the new extensions to be accepted by the general public

Yes, I don't doubt that the new extensions will take time to root, nobody said that hatching domain eggs would be a breeze. Nonetheless, I don't believe that the "general public" is all there is to target for. If it is, then .COM does a fine job there.

I believe .BIZ will gain root and acceptance a whole lot lot faster with B2B audiences than the general public. And country based sites with specific country content will root much faster with extensions like .US.

It's all in the development. As the web mature, specialization will become essential if you are ever to sustain any reasonable competitive edge in the mid-long term against cut-throat competition.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030616.html

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by aactive

"Traffic" is a personal taste. Some people think a name that has 100 uniques per say sucks, while others think 100 uniques per day rocks.

Personally, I do not care about traffic one bit. I go after generic names. Any traffic is a bonus. All of these people who want traffic only are missing out on some great names.

Example:

If I posted for sale a name that gets 8-10 uniques per day and I want $10,000 for it, who would take it? I bet nobody.

If I reveal the name is Coffee.net, how many people would want it? I bet some of the traffic people would convert and be in line to purchase that name, even though it receives "no" traffic.

This is why it is speculation. We all have our own preferences. What works for me may not work for somebody else.

Cheers.

-Bob

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WOW! Some very interesting and diverse comments.

Thanks Guys

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many domainers buy these existing traffic domains for the purpose of putting up a site related to the keyword instead of a related ppc? How long do you think it will take to start losing the previous links when they find out that they are being redirected to another stupid ppc? I don't know about you guys, but it kindof stinks when such a large number of sites waste my time directing me to these useless ppc search engines. But the guys who use them don't seem to care as long as they get their click thru money. Doc

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this too.

Domains we own either go to search engine, or to a for sale page, etc,.. So if we are getting 100 uniques a day, that only means that 100 unique people a day will not go back to that domain, right?

I serously doubt if a person types in a domain and is redirected to a sale page will try again the following month to see if it changed.

Traffic is better justified for a developed site than just for a domain. Domain traffic will dwindle down over time if it is not a developed site. Just like coffee.net, not much traffic, but I would sure pay more than a couple hundred for it.

Just my 2 cents. (can I pay in DNF$ from now on ?)

domainscot

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i use my names not for traffic but earn revenue from my own customers advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom