Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Exchange rates, USD, and the costs associated with transacting in the domain name biz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So..

Most people deal in USD within the domain name business.

I am however from the UK so need GBP.

When I last sold a domain I lost a lot of money because the exchange rate that my bank offers is unfavourable relative to the actual rate.

As such I want to work out the optimal way to transact in the business.

So. I have an $8,800 sale going through Escrow. My bank will give me a GBP -> USD rate of 1.6393 to receive USD meaning Ill get £5368.

To convert from GBP to USD they'd offer a 1.5358 rate so if I converted it back, I'd get $8,244 I.E I'd lose $550 which is ridiculous.. a deal breaker.

So from this sale I want half in GBP to live off, and half kept in USD to reinvest.

My bank offers a USD account (with a monthly charge :p) so I could keep the amount is USD and then convert whatever I actually need to GBP at their unfavourable rate. This however is still not ideal.

Can anyone propose a way that I can transact in USD and not lose out like this.. Otherwise it isn't worth transacting.. :p

Thanks
THomas

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ideally you should look for a bank with better exchange rates. 6.3% difference is huge. At my bank the same number is 1.5%, which I still don't like, but it's not a horror. 6.3% is!

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Paypal allows multiple currencies in a single account but I guess may not be an option for you.

Btw, its more than annoying that Sedo doesn't let you choose 'your preferred' transfer currency.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can get a pre paid mastercard USD card and a GBP one. Have the money paid onto the card you will get an account number and sort code from the issuer so it's the same as it being paid into a bank.

Never done this myself but have just got the cards to see how it goes. I got a EUR card too while I was at it.

You can convert the $ to £ if the ex rate becomes favourable, or just keep the $ for purchases if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom