Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Expired Domain help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorddb

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello all, just wondering if its legal for a registrar to charge a large sum to reinstate an expired domain name? :?: Seems like they are holding it hostage!

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you'll need to provide more info than that... like when did it expire?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems like they are holding it hostage!

Holding hostage something one no longer owns or possesses?

Anyway, it depends on what "state" it's in for the registrar to charge whatever fee:

http://icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.htm

Especially if this is a .com we're talking, the registrar will likely charge its standard renewal fee if expired, or a higher fee to "redeem" it. If the domain's in redemption period, that can explain why the registrar's charging more.

But yes, it's so-called legal.

lorddb

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys well it expired two months ago and I do think that reinstate charges should apply but not 175! For some reason I never got the expiration heads up either. :sigh2:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The domain is in redemption and yes, registrars charge a larger than usual amount of money past the first 35 days in order to reinstate the domain. If you think that's expensive, try eNom at $250.

lorddb

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Acro, not sure if it would be worth the 175 to get the name but I guess they have me by the balls here. After the redemption period the name should go back into circulation correct.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Are we talking about GoDaddy here?
If that's the case, the domain will most likely enter TDNAM, their auction platform. If nobody bids on it, it will be released; which means that then other dropcatching services such as Snapnames or Pool will have a go at it.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about GoDaddy here?
If that's the case, the domain will most likely enter TDNAM, their auction platform. If nobody bids on it, it will be released; which means that then other dropcatching services such as Snapnames or Pool will have a go at it.
godaddy only charges 80, so its not them.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys well it expired two months ago and I do think that reinstate charges should apply but not 175! For some reason I never got the expiration heads up either. :sigh2:
One should never rely on the courtesy reminders. Mail can always be lost to anti-spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom