Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

For Sale Expired domains should have 90 days and a letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When a domain name expires, there should be 90 days before the name is dropped.

There should be an email confirming that the name is intentionally being dropped. If the response is positive, then the name can be dropped immediately. If the email is not responded to, a postal letter should go to the owner/company, not just an admin contact.

30 days is not a lot of time, and just emails to one person isn't very much. Emplois.ca is a perfect example of a name dropping that should probably never have been dropped.

It's very difficult for management running a company to be on top of a detail such as domain name expiry date. The value of domain names and their identity for a company is far too important for these names to be so easily lost. If it was a piece of land, and taxes weren't paid, it would be a long process to lose the land.

I have over 1000 names and I am always concerned that I might make a simple mistake and lose a gem, and I understand domains. It shouldn't be as simple as the current process is now.

D

Deleted member 5660

And who is going to pay for this?

I don't want to pay extra fees for those that:

-can't be bothered to manage their domains or
-those that want to use the cheapest registrar rather than one with good service or
-those that don't want to put out the money to register their domains ahead several years

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cira is actually pretty good compared to some places that only give you 18-21 days before selling your domain.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
30 days to notice your website doesn't resolve is more than enough time.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"And who is going to pay for this?"

I'm not seeing any added costs here. A link within the email they already send out for an acceptance of a dropped name. A few hundred standard letters a month for the ones that aren't acknowledged. CIRA should be able to handle that without raising prices.
---

"cira is actually pretty good compared to some places that only give you 18-21 days before selling your domain."

I agree- but I don't see what would be wrong with adding 60 more days to expired names.
---

"30 days to notice your website doesn't resolve is more than enough time."

If you are using redirection from other names, it would be easy to not notice.
---

This would be more of a help to the non-domainers out there.

I am looking at 3 posts against the idea already, so perhaps it's wrong. I've been wrong before -lol.

Last edited:

YODD

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you proposing or suggesting CIRA do this ... :)

When a domain name expires, there should be 90 days before the name is dropped.

There should be an email confirming that the name is intentionally being dropped. If the response is positive, then the name can be dropped immediately. If the email is not responded to, a postal letter should go to the owner/company, not just an admin contact.

30 days is not a lot of time, and just emails to one person isn't very much. Emplois.ca is a perfect example of a name dropping that should probably never have been dropped.

It's very difficult for management running a company to be on top of a detail such as domain name expiry date. The value of domain names and their identity for a company is far too important for these names to be so easily lost. If it was a piece of land, and taxes weren't paid, it would be a long process to lose the land.

I have over 1000 names and I am always concerned that I might make a simple mistake and lose a gem, and I understand domains. It shouldn't be as simple as the current process is now.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
30 days to notice your website doesn't resolve is more than enough time.
That's what I would think. It means more bureaucracy and increased costs. I would rather see Cira improve the transfer system :yes:

Now it's possible that some registries already send snail mail. A while back the Italian registry sent me a letter by registered mail to notify me of an issue when transfering a domain from one maintainer to another. Impressive :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got an email from 1&1 that my domains are going to expire in 45 days, shouldn't hard for other registrars to do that (I won't see any emails like that from GoDaddy or the others until very late this year at the earliest).

But, I also have most of mine on auto-renewal and I check my DMT weekly to see what's expiring in the next 30 days.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a great program to organize domains would be better than email reminders, if someone has one or knows of one PLEASEEEEEEEE let me know.

I understand you point, but if you have a domain which you don't want to lose, do not rely on someone else to remind you. Even email reminders or auto renewal must be double checked.

just my thoughts

:yo:

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also to note - the most annoying thing to me is when these companies send out TOO many reminders. GoDaddy and others send out a reminder 90 days, 75, 60, 45, 30, etc...they're all the same subject. If I got one of these emails, I got the others. If I didn't pay for renewal when they were 90 days due, then maybe I'll pay when they're 30...or I just won't pay at all. If a person is that forgetful that they need 6 reminders for the same name, well that's their problem. I do agree that email is not enough for reminders - because you could change email addresses. Maybe they just need a better way of verifying WHOIS information so that companies can give proper (2 is sufficient) reminders to individuals.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think 30 days is adequate. The site is down for 30 days only after 30-60 days of repetitive emails stating the domain is agoing to drop. Also, auto-renewal is always offered by reputable registrars. And if your CC is up to date, you shouldnt have a problem.

I should also mention that our opportunities would be much less in the event of a longer redemption period and letters. I for one like scooping sweet domains.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom