Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Expiring domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, the domain I want basically has no value whatsoever, so I'm assuming the domain owner doesn't renew? (but you never know) :pray:

It expires tomorrow (Halloween) but since GoDaddy hosts all my sites, I've come under the knowledge their backorder system is useless and would rather not waste $18 for nothing.

So what is the whole process I'll have to go through to wait for it to pop up to simply purchase as a new domain in godaddy's search? How long do I have to wait for the current registrar to drop it? For that matter, what's EVERYTHING I should know in this rat race for a potential expired domain?

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it will remain in the current owners account in "expired" for 30 to 35 days after it expires (tommorow) , then it will go into pendiing delete for 30 to 45 days before its released.

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's pretty discouraging having to wait a minimum of 60 days for this.

Is there any sites that keep you updated on domains being dropped?

nWo

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's pretty discouraging having to wait a minimum of 60 days for this.

Is there any sites that keep you updated on domains being dropped?

Try checking Whois.sc

I had nine domains at godaddy that some how got dropped and expired
and all nine got picked up by someone! :tape2:

GenericTypo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generally now EVERY dropped names gets reg'd and checked for traffic, if it is a no value name it will redrop later but may again get picked up by another taster, if you really want the name you need to use a decent backorder service and pay the premium

Hope this helps

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're right, I think it's kind of silly for me to think I'm definately the only person with an eye on it.

Can I ask two things...

*will checking whois (since the page has no development) add to traffic in any way?
*are there any good backorder sites I should check out? I host all of my sites with godaddy and hear their service sucks on this. I'm looking for a good site that possibly won't make me go through auctions. I'm already waiting until December in hopes they don't renew.

Thanks for the help so far.

nkiegrea

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am also currently Waiting to see if a domain name gets dropped or not...

Does the site have to be "dropped" by the person who owns it.. or can you get your hands on an expired domain name before the person renews it...

The domain name I am looking at isn't being used rather just with some wasted parked page... so it wouldn't be stealing someones site or anything..

I guess I am somewhat confused of the whole idea of "Expiring" domain names if they really don't expire.. whats the point of paying upfront for a 10 year domain name if you can always just renew it year to year?

I hope someone can help me and this other person out on how to get our hands on a nice wasted domain name! :cheeky:

ThisDot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're right, I think it's kind of silly for me to think I'm definately the only person with an eye on it.

Can I ask two things...

*will checking whois (since the page has no development) add to traffic in any way?
*are there any good backorder sites I should check out? I host all of my sites with godaddy and hear their service sucks on this. I'm looking for a good site that possibly won't make me go through auctions. I'm already waiting until December in hopes they don't renew.

Thanks for the help so far.

I would suggest using the whois at the registry, some whois services seem to be possibly selling their query data.

For:

.com/.net - internic.net/whois.html
.org - pir.org/Search/WhoIsSearchResults.aspx
.us - whois.us
.biz - www.whois.biz
.info - whois.info

Hope that helps

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, this is weird, I've used whois.sc --- for a while and the whois there says it was renewed about 4 or 5 days ago. But every other place I look, including the registrar they have, doesn't show that renewal. Am I missing anything?

I am also currently Waiting to see if a domain name gets dropped or not...

Does the site have to be "dropped" by the person who owns it.. or can you get your hands on an expired domain name before the person renews it...

The domain name I am looking at isn't being used rather just with some wasted parked page... so it wouldn't be stealing someones site or anything..

I guess I am somewhat confused of the whole idea of "Expiring" domain names if they really don't expire.. whats the point of paying upfront for a 10 year domain name if you can always just renew it year to year?

I hope someone can help me and this other person out on how to get our hands on a nice wasted domain name! :cheeky:

Well, that's the thing I've learned. You can renew a 10 year domain at any point, because it's not like saying... "well, I just bought google.com, but instead of the 6 years I signed up for, I'd rather renew it to... 4." --- renewing is like an extension, like sports contracts? All that does is add on.

Also, don't think because a default parked page has been used for eons, that the domain is being wasted. I think there's a domain for everyone out there that they would love to have, but someone's squatting on. It's always just possible the domain is being used for email. Some people still have plans in development. But no matter what we all say... "they're not doing anything with it, they should be forced to give it to me"... it's not gonna translate to success. That's as bad as saying a man is just letting a home he owns sit there, and it should be torn down so a shopping mall can be built there and the acres can be put to use. It's a first come, first serve thing with domain registration, and from what I've heard, there is a law being discussed on "cyber squatting" but it's not in effect yet. Just come with a Plan B name and see if it's available.

GenericTypo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Using the bigger backorder services are your best chance at picking up a dropped name, if your the only one who ordered it and they catch it you will pay the backorder fee only it wont go to auction.

If your trying to grab to for reg fee, then you have to wait for the tasters to check it over first

Once any name goes into expired the dns is changed back to the registrar and usually they put a parked page

Domain drop cycle (for most ext)-> expired -> redemption -> extended redemption (registrar hold)-> pending delete -> dropped -> grabbed by registrar (if not grabbed by backorder) dropped -> grabbed by another taster-> dropped and available at reg fee

If anyone along the line see any value (rev or traffic ) that they decide is worthy of keeping the is gone for another year

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking one more question with follow up's---

What are some recommended backordering services? Are there any additional fee's if there's no auction, and if it goes to auction, does it typically start at $60? What if the name is renewed after I backorder --- can I get a refund or am I forced to be credited with one in the future?

ThisDot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The biggest ones are pool snapnames and enom's club drops. All of them charge $60 min. and if more than one person is interested they go to auction. GoDaddy offers a first come first served model for $18.99, but requires payment upfront. I'll send you a PM regarding a lower priced alternative with no money upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom