Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Explain how to use Blockchain Domains, .nft, .eth, etc.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm considering investing in a blockchain domain. I understand I can buy the name and own it forever but how do I use it?? I can't get my browser to resolve any .crypto, or .eth

Domain summit 2024

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think Opera and Brave work with those extensions.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

those extensions are like the old "new.net" extensions

it's like buying pet rocks

imo...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
those extensions are like the old "new.net" extensions
Thank you! I forgot the name of this provider and thought all these years it was "BOX.net", but could never find an archived page selling them.

Though, I would kind of disagree with the sentiment here. Browsers, and not untrustworthy toolbars, are now working to support the extensions.

We also have something new that ICANN is inching towards. If ICANN goes that route, I can absolutely see these extensions disrupting the market, a little bit.
I understand I can buy the name and own it forever
I think you only own .forever forever; the other ones have fees.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I forgot the name of this provider and thought all these years it was "BOX.net", but could never find an archived page selling them.

Though, I would kind of disagree with the sentiment here. Browsers, and not untrustworthy toolbars, are now working to support the extensions.

We also have something new that ICANN is inching towards. If ICANN goes that route, I can absolutely see these extensions disrupting the market, a little bit.

I read something about DNS fees ( ENS ) but wasn't sure if it was for the 3rd gen TLD's or having your .com resolve to the same address.

I agree if browsers can support the tld's it could be disruptive. The problem I have is it doesn't really work. The domain doesn't resolve, never responds or resolves to unstoppable.io home page.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unstoppable Domains uses .com for it's website.

End of discussion! 😄

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends of the "business modem" of each "extension" (/extension provider or project, as there can be several same extensions from different projects. Example: .nft from Handshake and from Unstoppable domains).

All unstoppable domains extensions are on a 1 time basis (aka forever)
The .eth (ENS) are annual if i'm not mistaken.
I'm not sure about Handshake, but it may be forever (this would need verification)
---
As for the "it's lame", yes and no. In the days of "cancel culture", decentralized and truly "unstoppable" domains may have a real utility. I didn't dig how "unstoppable" it really is. If for example someone puts up "ch!ld-p0rn.unstoppable" with some related content online, what happens then? Really "unstoppable"? Or if enough miners of the project agree it has to not resolve anymore, then it doesn't? I don't know. It seems there are potential problems either way.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unstoppable Domains uses .com for it's website.

End of discussion! 😄

A decentralized Internet is the next step. ICANN has no real oversight, look at what's happening in the world, Governments are getting more tyrannical.

Joe Biden just gave a speech about there being less democracies in the world as he plans to put millions of people out of work because they won't follow his orders.

I say the faster the better.

p.s. Helping create a decentralized Internet would be a good way for Epik to regain some of it's reputation, imo.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@mr-x uses a .com domain for his portfolio website.

End of discussion. 😄

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
p.s. Helping create a decentralized Internet would be a good way for Epik to regain some of it's reputation, imo.

Their rep? Does lying hurt or help a companies rep?

".truth domain name will help you improve your search engine rankings on google and other major search engines"

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

".truth domain name will help you improve your search engine rankings on google and other major search engines"

Registrars and Registries constantly lie about how great New Gs.

I wouldn't even recommend a new extension to my worst enemy.

That is how much I hate them.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends of the "business modem" of each "extension" (/extension provider or project, as there can be several same extensions from different projects. Example: .nft from Handshake and from Unstoppable domains).

All unstoppable domains extensions are on a 1 time basis (aka forever)
The .eth (ENS) are annual if i'm not mistaken.
I'm not sure about Handshake, but it may be forever (this would need verification)
---
As for the "it's lame", yes and no. In the days of "cancel culture", decentralized and truly "unstoppable" domains may have a real utility. I didn't dig how "unstoppable" it really is. If for example someone puts up "ch!ld-p0rn.unstoppable" with some related content online, what happens then? Really "unstoppable"? Or if enough miners of the project agree it has to not resolve anymore, then it doesn't? I don't know. It seems there are potential problems either way.

The domains are tied to a nft, you own; that makes it permanent. While ENS ( DNS for .eth, etc ) they can charge you for resolution services. Not a good model.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

At the time, people said the same about .car. That worked for awhile until the algorithm changed.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
At the time, people said the same about .car. That worked for awhile until the algorithm changed.
I don't think you're following, that page is a lie. Those extension do not help you in the search engines, since they're not crawled and indexed.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think you're following, that page is a lie. Those extension do not help you in the search engines, since they're not crawled and indexed.

I didn't agree with the page but pointed out it was a common belief / marketing ploy. I don't think your second assertion is 100% correct.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators