Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Facebook surpasses Google worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Shame they still can't figure out how to monetize it though.

In Q2, Facebook generated $1.18 billion dollars in revenue, a 32% year-to-year increase.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
That's a bit misleading though. Over the last year they had their IPO and they've just started monetizing it.

The revenue has nothing to do with the IPO.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It has everything to do with the IPO. How do you think they will please shareholders?

No, my friend. If anything, Facebook stock is down since the IPO. Facebook revenue comes from ad streaming.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OMG dude I can't believe we are even having this convo. Yep, FB IPOed to prove to shareholders it can't generate any money. Of course it's all about revenue, especially since they went public!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You seem to be in disbelief that Facebook is actually profitable.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Facebook has some major issues in front of it. The biggest selling point for stockholders was the 955 MILLION "active users".. however analysts are quickly realizing that a significant portion of those profiles are duplicates or inactive.

Facebook is an awful investment. Think about Myspace they were the biggest, baddest social network for a few years; until it became "un-cool". The same thing can and will happen to Facebook if they don't find a way to extend functionality passed their own website. They have the chance to leverage their user-base to become a web portal, similar to what AOL was in the early days of the internet. That's really they only way they can maintain their business in the long term.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Actually, you'd be surprised how much footprint Facebook beholds, among tens of thousands of app developers. The *only* thing Facebook needs to worry about, is retaining the loyalty of its users. There is no competition; Google+ has 50 million users. Stock value aside, Facebook is the most visited web site on earth. The average user spends hours (not minutes, hours!) in total daily on it.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The most visited sites on earth, but their stocks values cut in half. As investors, this is very disappointing results.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, you'd be surprised how much footprint Facebook beholds, among tens of thousands of app developers. The *only* thing Facebook needs to worry about, is retaining the loyalty of its users. There is no competition; Google+ has 50 million users. Stock value aside, Facebook is the most visited web site on earth. The average user spends hours (not minutes, hours!) in total daily on it.

Remember, Myspace essentially died overnight. They don't have a sustainable business model YET. They definitely have the opportunity to evolve to a gateway but until they fill that void they will continue to have problems. I have to say it's pretty exciting to watch a website grow into a massive company that quickly.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Remember, Myspace essentially died overnight. They don't have a sustainable business model YET. They definitely have the opportunity to evolve to a gateway but until they fill that void they will continue to have problems. I have to say it's pretty exciting to watch a website grow into a massive company that quickly.

I understand that you're not a fan of Fb, but compare apples to oranges: MySpace had nowhere close to the same user base as Fb, it was primarily geared towards music, groups and musicians and never incorporated technology to collect such a vast amount of personal data on its users. MySpace is a glorified Geocities page, if you ever used it in the 90s. So I hardly see Fb dying overnight. Don't forget also that China is blocking Facebook officially; when relations get ironed out and China's armies of Internet users rush to register, that'd be a corporate apocalypse. PS I don't own Fb stock.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Soon it will be dnf.com.

For now, wordpress.com is #22

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Not at all. It's just misleading to look at the previous year's revenue growth to gauge how the company is doing.

Maybe you didn't comprehend what I posted? Here it is, one more time, with bolding for emphasis:

In Q2 (of 2012), Facebook generated $1.18 billion dollars in revenue, a 32% year-to-year increase.

In other words, a year ago, they made 32% less. How is this "misleading"? That's how annual reports are made.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It's misleading because of the IPO and their motivation to monetize the site. I thought that would have been obvious.

LOL ok. Move on to Area 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom