Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Fake information in whois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Supposing you used fake information as a domain registrant but left a valid email address up. How likely would it be that you'd lose your domain name?

Wouldn't you just be contacted by ICANN or your registrar if someone were to report your domain for incorrect whois information? I'd expect them just to tell me to put correct information up. Of course, if I didn't respond, they'd drop my domain name.

It irritates that we are expected to put our real information in a domain name's whois. I've done that with my domain names with the exception of the phone numbers which I will not do.

Obviously I give my registrar real information for billing purposes, but sometimes I'd like to remain anonymous. I really don't want to pay my registrar to hide my whois information.

Comments? Opinions?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is possible that you could lose your domain if you use incorrect whois information, however it is unlikely. I have complained several times about fake whois used in 2 cases of domain highjacking but they still remain the same. Theory is not practice in this game, however to be sure use a "privacy" service.

redbulldog

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know its not the solution you are looking for but namecheap give a free "whoisguard" with every domain bought or transferred at the moment.

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr. Webname is 100% correct when he says "It is possible that you could lose your domain if you use incorrect whois information, however it is unlikely". Thats all ya gotta know.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My experience is that ICANN and the registrars really don't care much. What is the incentive to verify WhoIs information? If all the fields are filled in, you are probably OK.

That said, I am one of the few large portfolio domainers who uses his real contact info for my domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom