Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

false claim on the trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Someone wrote me an email saying that he has a trademark for a domain I own. After searching thru the TESS database, I didn't find any trademark for the phrase.

He made a false claim that he hold the trademark. Is it illegal to say that you have a trademark when you don't?

Thanks.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.biz said:
Is it illegal to say that you have a trademark when you don't?

If they didn't specifically say that they had a U.S. registered trademark, then they might not be lying; they could have a common law trademark, a state trademark, or a foreign country trademark.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He made a false claim that he hold the trademark. Is it illegal to say that you have a trademark when you don't?

The TESS database does not answer the question of "Does X have a trademark for Y".

If someone in the United States uses interstate electronic communications to obtain a thing of value by deliberate misrepresentation of fact, then they may likely be in violation of 18 USC 1343 - the federal wire fraud statute - and they may be fined and/or imprisoned for up to twenty years.

It's a citation I keep handy.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John, this could be one of the more helpful things for us domainers..... Thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom