Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

fastest computer on the planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hehehe, i want one of these for christmas, anyone want to buy me one? :santa: all it needs is a few gigabit connections to backbones and it would fly online :santa:

IBM plans to officially announce the creation of a new supercomputer later today, and is expected to rank as one of the fastest on the planet.

The new supercomputer, named the Watson Blue Gene system, was developed in only two months, and has been installed at IBM's Thomas Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, New York. The 3,000 Watson researchers are already using the computer's amazing computing power for a variety of scientific studies, which include research in life sciences, materials sciences, and molecular dynamics.

The supercomputer, named Watson Blue Gene, or BGW as it is called at IBM, has a peak processing speed of 115 teraflops. This means that it can produce 115 trillion calculations per second. Its sustained performance is 91.29 trillion calculations per second.The Watson system has 20 computing racks, with about 2,000 processors in each, for a total of 40,000 processors.

The Watson Blue Gene would cost about $40 million for IBM to build a unit for other customers, based on a price of about $2 million processor rack.

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol I'll buy one if i can afford it :/

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If Moore's Law holds out, you'll be able to buy an equivalent computer for about $2,000 in 2025!

Dimva

High Traffic Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lol, real cheap :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom