Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

fastest Way To Quick Growth as a Domainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallbutfast

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys (and gals),

As a new member and supporter of this forum, I'd love to hear opinions from those people who have dealt with hand registering domains as well as purchasing and reselling premium domains.

My questions are as follows:

1) If you have a budget of $5K to start, is it faster (in terms of net profits) to buy and resell premium domains vs. hand reg'ing domains?

2) What are the pitfalls of each?

3) If so, what are some important rules do jumping into that niche (I have never purchased a domain other than hand regging for previous businesses.)

4) Outside of automated tools like Estibot, how do you calculate your profit potential when buying a domain at auction?

5) Are there rules you follow to reduce your risk as much as possible? If so, what?

6) I imagine that those that are making north of six figures per year are buying and reselling premium domains, correct?

7) If you are buying and reselling premium domains, are you also building those sites out or just flipping them, holding on to them, actively seeking buyers, or waiting for them to come to you?

8) If you hand reg domains that you feel would be valuable to somebody somewhere, and you want to make them available for purchase right away through sedo or a similar site, is that a bad idea? If you do, how would you go about it?

Thanks everybody. I know it's a lot of questions.

Cheers

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi guys (and gals),

As a new member and supporter of this forum, I'd love to hear opinions from those people who have dealt with hand registering domains as well as purchasing and reselling premium domains.

1) If you have a budget of $5K to start, is it faster (in terms of net profits) to buy and resell premium domains vs. hand reg'ing domains?

3) If so, what are some important rules do jumping into that niche (I have never purchased a domain other than hand regging for previous businesses.)

4) Outside of automated tools like Estibot, how do you calculate your profit potential when buying a domain at auction?

5) Are there rules you follow to reduce your risk as much as possible? If so, what?

6) I imagine that those that are making north of six figures per year are buying and reselling premium domains, correct?

7) If you are buying and reselling premium domains, are you also building those sites out or just flipping them, holding on to them, actively seeking buyers, or waiting for them to come to you?

8) If you hand reg domains that you feel would be valuable to somebody somewhere, and you want to make them available for purchase right away through sedo or a similar site, is that a bad idea? If you do, how would you go about it?

Cheers

Questions asked many times here, search the forum and you will get tons of results. If you want to learn more, extend your search to Google.com.

I do not recommend a quick to get rich tips. Domains = Hardwork = Success.

Regards.

smallbutfast

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Any links to threads here that you recall as being quite exceptional?

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
buy for nickel,sell for dime
Nick the greek from the wire
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rmnarmenta

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You need to rethink your game plan.

The fastest way to quick growth usually runs parallel to the fastest way to the poor house.

Do yourself a favor and read through the forums thoroughly.

Good Luck

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In competitive markets like this, it's what's said between the lines that counts most.
Lots of research is key...the more research you do, the less risk you will carry.

ebuzconsultant

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no shortcut, You will have to perform above average domainer to make money.....

Hi guys (and gals),

Cheers

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hand regging names in the year 2009 will lead you no where. Try to buy some Generics that were regged in the year 2000 and before and try selling them to end users.
good luck

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been a member here since 2003,....

... and I am still reading threads and working on figuring it out.

(or maybe I am slower than the average lot ;) )

rebirth

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1) Buy and sell generic domains

2) Old generic domains: too-long-term
New reg: people hate newborn domains (but end users don't)

3) Gut feeling

4) Gut feeling

5) Gut feeling

6) Correct, but not to resellers

7) All of them

8) Not a bad idea, but you'd probably waste your time

Gut feeling is that thing called "I learned from my mistakes"

Good luck.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buy low - sell high.

That's rule #1. :)

Rule #2 is "Quality over quantity" - don't forget a year from now you'll have all of these renewal fees. The fewer domains the less in renewal fees you'll have to pay. With the $5K just get a couple of good names, not hundreds of hand registrations (unless you find a good post-drop hand reggie).

Find a niche that you're very familiar with, maybe even a hobby you enjoy. This way you'll know what keywords to look for that niche plus you may have an idea of the budges of your possible future clients.

Say you're big into model railroads, then you'll know that hoscaletrains.com (if HO scale is still commonly used) would be a good buy if someone was selling it for $20 but most other people might pass up on it. Then, you can either develop it with affiliate ads or find someone who wants to make a site to show off their sets or even an online reseller.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi guys (and gals),

Cheers

1. it's probably faster to resell domains purchased at premium prices, than it may be to sell hand registered domains.

1b. however, one's skill and knowledge may make it possible for them to acheive the highest roi by buying and selling hand-regged domains.

1c. or it may be less of a financial risk to get a mixed portfolio of both.

2. re-read answer #1

3. most important rule is to research the domain and possible owner.

4. why use bot to calculate roi?
roi should be calculated from acquisition costs, to expected % of profi, over a given time period.

5. re-read answer # 3

6. try not to imagine what others are doing and concentrate on what you need to do.

7. any smart domainer would be doing one or more of the things you mentioned.

7b. take the word "premium" out of your speech for a while, at least until you know what it is.

7c. as all high priced sales may not be what others consider premium, they just happen to sell for a premium price.

8. the whole purpose of hand regging a domain, is in hoping that others will see a value and potential that you did, when you regged it.

8b. the goal after that is too sell at a price you will be happy with.

8c. if you don't list them on sedo or other platforms, then how will you get exposure?

imo...

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quickest way, learn A LOT A LOT A LOT before doing anything and have MUCH MUCH MUCH more than 5k to spend.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buy domains and sites that are making money already. 100 domains/sites making money each day will help you grow and cover your renewals. OR buy domains to develop them to make money from ads and affiliate banners. Google adsense, linkshare and clickbank.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you hand reg, there is risk that your 5 K would disappear.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
famous domainer "Bonker" used to say
before i used to register/buy names that i liked but now I register/buy names that others like
so it will bring nothing if others dont like your domain name/s.

hobo74

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hand regging names in the year 2009 will lead you no where. Try to buy some Generics that were regged in the year 2000 and before and try selling them to end users.
good luck

NOT TRUE - you can still reg profitable dn's in 2009...And sell them to end user for the usual profit. The key is development. Just like real estate or the underlying development of a business...Simply build value...

Also NOT TRUE because even if you just buy the domain and flip it, you can make a healthy profit if you buy it at the "right" time..I bet in 2009-2010 there will be at least 100 opportunities to buy "in demand" domains based on one time events (disasters, discoveries, etc.), new hit shows, movies, celebrities...buzz words...the list goes on and on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom