Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Fax Advertisements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it legal for a company to send me faxed advertisements?

This is the second or third time this has happened.

They are located out of Texas. I have read places online where people are liable up to $500+ per offense if this is done for a commercial purpose. And more if they do it after you contact them.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:
Is it legal for a company to send me faxed advertisements?

This is the second or third time this has happened.

They are located out of Texas. I have read places online where people are liable up to $500+ per offense if this is done for a commercial purpose. And more if they do it after you contact them.

You practically answered your own question. It's just a matter of telling the
authoritative agency about it.

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I get at least 2 dozen faxed spams per week. All give you an option to opt out of the mailing (fax) list. Some, however, put a 900 number in big bold print, making you think it's your only option, but in teeny tiny print, barely legible, is a toll-free number to remove yourself.

As soon as I remove myself from 10, another 20 new ones show up in the next few days.

Nothing I can do when they don't put the phone number and name at the top of the fax which is, I was told, required by law. You can't complain about an unknown number :)

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I get spam faxes from "Momentum Trades" / www.dataevolution.com all the time. Sometimes they come in at like 3 in the morning.

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow I didn't know that fax spam exists.

mikesherov

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is the law in the US:

I worked for a company that USED to spam faxes. It is definitely illegal, no matter what... even if the whole fax is just the number for removal. You have to be a customer of the company who is faxing you, and you have to opt in before they can fax you.

If you have received a single fax from a company you did not authorize, immediately contact the attorney general's office... they are on a witch hunt for these companies!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/unwantedfaxes.html
If you have received an unsolicited fax or received a fax from someone who hasn’t received your prior express permission, you may file a complaint by completing the FCC’s on-line Consumer Complaint Form at www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html, or by calling the FCC’s Consumer Center at 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835- 5322) TTY.

It is also possible to bring a private suit against the violator in an appropriate court of your state. Through a private suit, you can either recover the actual monetary loss that resulted from the TCPA violation, or receive up to $500 in damages for each violation, whichever is greater. The court may triple the damages for each violation if it finds that the defendant willingly or knowingly committed the violation.

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link, John -- I'll be very busy filing complaints I can see!`

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom