Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Ferret or Rats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's my nephew's birthday next week, he has been going on about ferrets, rats, hamsters and mice for years, driving his parents and recently myself crazy. Now i want to get him a 2x rats or a ferret for his brithday, but i am not too sure which to get, anyone here have experience with any of them? he is 12 years old and hopefuly responsible enough to take care of them, else they may end up at the shop or my house with me and my girl friend!

Any input on rats or ferrets would be great :cheeky: i have been too busy to goto a pet shop, maybe if i get nowhere in a few days i will have to visit one as a last resort rather than a breeder.

Thanks.

Domain Days 2024

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid I had hampsters. They are pretty cool and aren't too big to really scare anyone. If you buy the plastic cages that you can keep adding tunnels onto, it's cool. At one point I had tunnels all over my room, a hampster city if you will. It turned into an architectural learning experience. Only problem is if they get loose goodluck finding them!

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
he used to be intrested in syrian hamsters, but now he has lost complete intrest in them claiming they are not as intelligent as rats, lol, i read slightly into mice and it appears mice smell, not a good thing to his parents to keep in the house. Right now i am reading into ferrets and it appears they are very playful indeed, lol they look so cute i am tempted to buy one for myself now.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't give a 12 year old a pet w/o consulting the parents. In fact I probably wouldn't at all.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Animals cost £££ to keep, they sh*t all over the place and smell. Do yourself and your family a favour and get him a gift voucher.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
I wouldn't give a 12 year old a pet w/o consulting the parents. In fact I probably wouldn't at all.
Hey, I was about to say that. ;)

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definitely a ferret...rats are horrible pets.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have permission from his parents, but it appears there are no ferret breeders in Edinburgh or surrounding cities! Looks like it's going to have to be a rat unless i find a breeder. The other unfortunate thing is i need 2x ferrets as it appears they are social animals as are rats making it even more difficult to find.

gdubz

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my friend got a farret and it was evil, it was always biting everyone and he was scared to pick it up. you should get him a dog

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Remember sex is an issue, you don't want babies as that just produces yet another problem.

I wonder if you can get a rat or ferret "fixed"?

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol, funny enough you can for both rats and ferrets. Apparently rats can have babies after just 4 weeks which is scary and ferrets go into season about now which makes males aggressive and nip/bite + give strong odour (a big downside to ferrets)

I think i will have to rule out a ferret for him, they are too big of a job. But these damn ferrets are so cute ( http://www.sciencecenterofpinellas.com/Tracy with Ferret.jpg ) i got to get myself 1 at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom