Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Fictional Character Domains....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born Wild

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light on the Value of Fictional Character names like these....

LORD OF THE RINGS...
FrodoBaggins.com
Gandalf.com
TreeBeard.com etc

HARRY POTTER....
VernonDursley.com
RonWeasley.com
LillyPotter.com etc

I know Universal studios own.... NevilleLongbottom.com (lord of the rings)
Is there any $ to be made with domains like these??

Cheers,
BW

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One case where a Lord of the Rings character name was ordered transferred is:
http://www.arbforum.com/domains/decisions/103063.htm

Movie companies tend to be much more vigorous in finding infringement than book authors/publishers; the LOTR characters existed for decades, and were often used by others without permission in naming things without being threatened, but once the movie guys got merchandising rights they started going after people.

Neville Longbottom is a Harry Potter character, not LOTR, by the way.

Born Wild

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your Feedback dtobias!

the link you provided made interesting reading, how would one stand if they reg'd a Characer name with no TM attached??

your veiwS on this please..... anybody!

Cheers,
BW

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of all fictional character names are automatically TMs, whether registered or not. The only ones you could get away with are ones so old that no company exists to enforce them or ones in which the names have other meanings somehow.

Born Wild

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply namedropper!

The reason i ask is bcause i've made a few reg's myself and i've checked for any TM's and there arn't any, belive it or not the names are as simple as... example: JohnJones.com
and i've also decovered that a lot of Characters name form the above movies don't belong to Universal or Paramount?

Any more views on this??

Cheers,
BW

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own Bilbo.org and Shire.org

No idea if Bilbo.org would be a problem - I just wanted the domain because I'm an LOTR fan from wayback.. :)

Actually, can a company trademark a person's name? Trademarks are usually issued only for use with a particular product - hence you can have a "Joe's Pizza" and "Joe's Cafe"

That reminds of when Microsoft released "Bob", and the running joke that everyone named Bob would have to change their name.

And the article on The Onion, "Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes" :D

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dtobias
One case where a Lord of the Rings character name was ordered transferred is:
http://www.arbforum.com/domains/decisions/103063.htm
Another appallingly bad decision. It makes you wonder what goes on inside these panelists heads.

Traditions.com is another ridiculous reverse domain hijack.

http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/94388.htm

How can anyone claim ownership of traditions? Can I have a trademark on "God" or "Humans"? Even worse, their trademark was for "Tradition" not "Traditions"

There's a company in Australia (and the US, I think) called ARB. They supply SUV parts. I'm sure they wouldn't like arb-forum.com cashing in on their good name. Especially since they're using .com and not .org

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Microsoft also patented 'ZONE'.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Born Wild
The reason i ask is bcause i've made a few reg's myself and i've checked for any TM's and there arn't any

What do you mean "checked"? You don't have to register a name for it to be a trademark. The fact that you got it from a book you paid money for almost certainly means it is a common law trademark.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beachie
Another appallingly bad decision. It makes you wonder what goes on inside these panelists heads.

Traditions.com is another ridiculous reverse domain hijack.

I agree with you that Traditions.com was a horrible miscarraige of justice, but I have to disagree with you on the LOTR character case.

Traditions is a common word used for many things. LOTR and its characters were created by a person. There's a huge difference.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, getting trademark rights in a name requires that the name be used in commerce. Simply having a character of that name somewhere within the text of a book is probably insufficient. You would have to actually be selling something that uses the name prominently in its packaging or advertising. These days, a lot of literary characters get heavily merchandised and thus gain trademark protection, but that wasn't nearly as widespread just a few decades ago. (Star Wars is sometimes credited with starting the big boom for licensed merchandise related to movie characters, moving it from an occasional minor sideline of T-shirts and coffee mugs hawked by Hollywood Blvd. vendors to tourists, to a multi-million-dollar industry comprising everything from action figures to video games.)

At any rate, though the Tolkien characters existed as far back as the 1930s (for those introduced in The Hobbit), they may not have been used in a trademark sense until much later... and it wasn't until the movie came out that any U.S. trademarks were actually registered and a concerted attempt was made to enforce them. At that point, anybody who had been using those names for years without objection would likely have a good defense.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
However, I should note that copyrights and trademarks are two very different things; any attempt by an author to make money by selling stories using copyrighted characters (such as those in LOTR) would likely be sued for infringement, which does not require that any trademark exist in the character names, only that the new work is a "derivative work" in a copyright sense because it uses things from the original work. However, simply using a character name without copying anything else from the literary work wouldn't itself be a copyright violation, as names can't be copyrighted, only the entire concept of the character (words, images, etc.).

There have been litigated cases where somebody has only a copyright but not a trademark, or vice versa, which affects what things are protected. (Obviously, the strongest rights are when the author has both a copyright and a trademark.) If the copyright to famous characters like Mickey Mouse eventually expires (it's been delayed a few times by copyright term extensions, but may run out someday anyway), Disney would still own trademark rights to the character's name and image, which would mean that somebody could sell copies of "Steamboat Willie", or make new cartoons derivative of it, but couldn't actually sell it with packaging or advertising that uses trademarked Disney elements like "Mickey Mouse". Confusing, huh?

Conversely, DC Comics bought the copyrights to the character Captain Marvel from Fawcett in the 1970s (after having stopped Fawcett from publishing it in the 1950s due to alleged copyright infringement on DC's Superman), but by then Marvel Comics already had a different character named Captain Marvel and owned trademark rights on the name, so DC was put in the position of owning copyright on CM but not trademark rights; their solution was to publish a comic named "Shazam!" that featured the character Captain Marvel in it, but didn't use the latter name in a trademark sense (they're prohibited from mentioning that name on the cover or in ads).

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If someone sold a book with a ficitonal character in it that's famous in any way, that's a commercial action. It seems to me they'd very easily be able to argue that it's a common law trademark.

Just because you don't come out with action figures it doesn't mean it's not a trademark. And, heck, if there have been action figures, don't event think about getting the domain name.

YMMV, INAL, etc.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by namedropper
Dan Norder - Savanna.com, FineGold.com, etc.
Sivana is the arch-enemy of Captain Marvel; maybe DC Comics can file a UDRP claiming that savanna.com is a typo-squat of that! :razz:

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL, that would be fun. Savanna isn't a fictional character, she's a real kid who is still learning to read and write but could undoubtedly write well enough to make a response that would win the case.

I thought Black Adam was Captain Marvel's arch-enemy? Wasn't Sivana the uncle or something?

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Black Adam is the "evil opposite" of Captain Marvel (he was an ancient Egyptian who was given the same powers by the wizard Shazam, but who turned to evil; he was exiled into outer space but returned to Earth after a journey of thousands of years), but Dr. Thaddeus Bodog Sivana is the mad scientist who has been the Captain's most frequent nemesis since the first issue of Whiz Comics (designated as "Whiz #2" in the masthead because there was an "ashcan edition" of #1 printed earlier to register copyright).

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
....And, apparently, that "ashcan" Whiz #1 turns out to not have been called "Whiz #1" after all (a copy turned up a few years ago)... it was named "Flash Comics #1", but the publisher (Fawcett) changed the name to "Whiz" at the last minute because DC Comics released a "Flash Comics #1" (introducing The Flash).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom