Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Find age of a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A question that I have had for the longest time, is how do you know how old a domain really is (for this example, .com will suffice)?

Sometimes you can do a whois, but say that the domain has moved registrars, registrants and maybe even gone into the "redemption" period...how can you tell the age?

Also, what if a domain was dropped and then picked-up again a year later...is there any record anywhere of it originally being registered the year before (other than perhaps the Internet History machine, etc.)?

Let me know your insight please!
-Joe

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Im guessing you can do that by looking at the 'WhoIs history' line on whois.domaintools.com. Example: The creation date for a certain domain is 24-11-2010, but if you read on the WhoIs history line:

Whois History:
23 records have been archived since 2007-05-30 .

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
registrar.verisign-grs.com/whois/

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
katherine - thanks for the reply! Unfortunately this method only shows the last registrar and not the "actual" age of the domain.

Jilo - you are correct, so far that's the only method I've found but requires a subscription to the site (which I'm sure would be worth it if I was in domaining full time but unfortunately is quite pricey for the average guy). Do you use their services?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The registry has the true age of the domain: creation date :)

However, if the name did drop in the past then the creation date is obviously reset at the next registration.
I would look at domaintools & hosterstats.com, but there is no official archive of domain history.
Only the registry must have that kind of information.

Archive.org may also reveal earlier traces of the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom