Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Finding the right investor... Share your tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in tips and stories from those of you who have gone through the sometimes difficult process of acquiring capital for web related projects or domain names.

• Where do you start looking?

• What are the pros and cons of the various types of investors?

• What are the most important factors in deciding who to go with? What are reasonable financial "payback" guidelines?

• How many details should you be prepared to share with each investor, before and after signing NDA? Do you reveal your full hand, even after signing an NDA? Should you be worried about any investor that will not sign an NDA?

• What type of contract terms should you require/refuse?

• What are other important details or things that you need to know when looking for an investor?

Feel free to share your tips and stories!

Domain Days 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my main investor is .......my credit card :)

cost 12% interest

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
cost 12% interest
100k line?

Might be a bit difficult to acquire without good income, assets and/or history.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
as far as payback goes- a "reasonable" investor is generally going to look for a minimum of 12 months rev. vs. a 40-60% share of profits.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rarethings said:
as far as payback goes- a "reasonable" investor is generally going to look for a minimum of 12 months rev. vs. a 40-60% share of profits.

heh, I got one who thinks hes suspose to triple his investment in 1 month.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been through the process of raising money. As my lawyer told me early on in the process, "they'll find you when you are ready..."

ie - if you have a good business plan, if you are networked with the right people, if your lawyer is halfway decent you will probably already be in the same circles as your investors.

the hardest part is getting the first investor. After that the rest figure the first guy must have done his homework.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for long term projects i advise you to stay away from investors and go through the bank. investors, venture capitalists, etc, are like leeches. once they tag on you'll be the one sweating to make a dollar and they'll just be collecting...

bank. credit cards work too, especially those with the special no-interest financing. credit card checks are sometimes a good idea since they charge you a flat fee. Bank is probably your best bet if you have good credit.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can usually take out a loan against your house like a second mortgage for large amounts of money.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As Biggie said Platinum can do wonder ;-)

I think the idea about networking with the right people is also important indeed.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I've been through the process of raising money. As my lawyer told me early on in the process, "they'll find you when you are ready..."

ie - if you have a good business plan, if you are networked with the right people, if your lawyer is halfway decent you will probably already be in the same circles as your investors.

the hardest part is getting the first investor. After that the rest figure the first guy must have done his homework."

Well said.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gmac17 said:
I've been through the process of raising money. As my lawyer told me early on in the process, "they'll find you when you are ready..."

the hardest part is getting the first investor. After that the rest figure the first guy must have done his homework.
You named after the bank, GMAC? :party:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom