Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

First Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

montydad5000

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, I've been reading like crazy in here and have finally started taking some action.

Over the last few days, I think I've picked up some really nice domain names...but how can I be sure?

I've been trying to keep the domains that I buy to two- or three-word combinations at MOST that would be easily brandable. The only exception being with SHORT domain names.

Does this sound like a wise strategy? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some mistakes people make when picking the names:

Mistake #324:

The name is not good if you have to explain the meaning of the name

Mistake #189:
Adding 2 or 3 unrelated words or or adding words in the wrong order.
Examples:
- Buy Car is good but Car Buy is not
- Cancer - Sky - Cheap: You can change the combination or order of these 2/3 words but it would not make a good name.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

Please post your domains in the appraisal section and perhaps you can get some insight there.

as for strategy, two or three word combo's can be a good way to go, but only if they are good keywords.

just putting some words together in no particular order, where they have no relationship to the other....just for the sake of using certain keywords is not a good strategy.

montydad5000

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure, sorry about that.

That clearly makes sense. I'm not out there looking for "fruithawkmuppet.com" (just an example).

Like I said, I'm going for two or three word combos that could be brandable so it sounds like I'm on the right track.

Thanks.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure, sorry about that.

That clearly makes sense. I'm not out there looking for "fruithawkmuppet.com" (just an example).

Like I said, I'm going for two or three word combos that could be brandable so it sounds like I'm on the right track.

Thanks.
Brandable?
Like BlueDogBark.com?

Brandable domains are hard to sell.
Look for keyword or keywords domains.

alliance

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Estibot.com is also a good resource in considering the value a domain. Not a perfect resource but its free.

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mistake #189:
Adding 2 or 3 unrelated words or or adding words in the wrong order.
Examples:
- Buy Car is good but Car Buy is not
- Cancer - Sky - Cheap: You can change the combination or order of these 2/3 words but it would not make a good name.[/QUOTE]

yes, good advice. sometimes it is not always clear what order of the words, moreso if they are niches, and especially if you are using the wrong tools or using the right tools in the wrong fashion. some search tools estimate keyword search but maybe put the keywords in alphabetical order, or other ways that may be confusing to the appropriate order. if its not obvious, always check multiple sources and always questions your common sense.

VictorLazlo

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stick w/.coms and avoid hyphens. If easily brandable max out & develop some content & do some affil. mktg.

OK, I've been reading like crazy in here and have finally started taking some action.

Over the last few days, I think I've picked up some really nice domain names...but how can I be sure?

I've been trying to keep the domains that I buy to two- or three-word combinations at MOST that would be easily brandable. The only exception being with SHORT domain names.

Does this sound like a wise strategy? Thanks.

VanguardDomain

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To add to what everyone else has said -
I would also recommend doing what is called a 'radio test'
Say the domain name out loud - as if you were saying it on the radio - to listeners.
The name needs to be easy to say, easy to spell, easy to remember.
It should need no explenation - once you say it.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom