Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

First nimble steps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Been lurking about for a couple weeks now reading over this and that to prepare ourselves for selling off some of our websites and domain names. We have so much on the go personally and professionally that we can't justify sitting on these anymore. So here we are.

We are experienced web developers and have for ourselves or others created many online ventures, but alas, never sold one before. Sounds weird to say, but its true! Parting with the domain names will be tough because we originally sought them out to develop them as part of our offline business. But with ever changing budgets and even bigger projects being undertaken we abandoned some websites and domains along the way. Currently the domains are parked with Sedo, and the websites are also there for sale.

We have some offers coming in for the existing websites, but we are not exactly sure how to fully appraise them for resale. For instance one is an online store that is all but finished except the secure backend for payment and bug testing, and has even seen people 'make' purchases for products even though the payment end is not finished - big red letters are not enough I guess! We can estimate future sales potential, and would want to factor that in to the sale price. Reading over posts here it seems like two to four years revenue is about right? Then what about the name itself? How does pagerank figure in?

I also see there is an appraisal forum here and might drop some names in there.

Sorry for the newbie ramblings, just need some guidance from established professionals.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think you will have to first establish who you are trying to sell to, if your going to sell here in the reseller market then an unfinished and unproven website won't be worth much, you won't get paid for your time probably never mind projected revenue. End user sales may be a different story. The domains will price themselves here if you put them in the "offers" section.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
some domains if good go for 10 years reenue or higher based on the name itself it is good to get many opinions because even some good generics without much revenue could demand a good premium
good luck

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. We may just go ahead and finish the back-end to the one site and conduct some transactions to better furnish potential buyers with data.

This next question is about .ca domains. I see many other top level country domains selling very well for great names, so why is there an air of apprehension from many to buy similar or exact .ca names? Canadian resident requirements aside...

That really puzzles me because we have a few very well performing .ca domains whose traffic is nearly 70% American, and one case closer to 80%. They all rank very well for their keywords on google or yahoo.com, without the search Canadian domains activated. I would like to hear some insight into this please.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom