Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon_Mike

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi figured I would jump right in and get my first post out of the way. I have a few domains that I registered yesterday for the first time ever just to see what the process was like and found out it was a lot simpler than I imagined. So now before I go spending all my money on junk hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction. Are domains with the .ws extension worth buying? Can you make good money off them? Also how do you determine if a domain name is worth buying? Do names that are searched for a lot make it worth more? I'm sure I'll have a million more but I'll just start with those thanks.

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi mike

Welcome to the forum. I have not registered a single .ws. I would say stay away from .ws extension, unless it is a very very good name (which i am sure are already gone). good luck :)

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome Mike! Agree with freestyler. Read several posts here both current and over the last couple of months before registering too many names. You will learn a lot and avoid some of the mistakes many newbies make. Just because a domain is available, does not make it a good registration. Think first, how could this name be used on the net? Use the Overture suggestion tool and domain generators like domainsurfer.com for ideas. Type in a Google search for uses on the net. Check for possible trademark conflicts thru the trademark office.
There are many other factors to consider, but these few will get you started in the right direction. Good luck!

openforsale.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Try to stick with .com as far as possible.
They are by far the most recognized as most valuable.
Still other extension do sell.

Domains that represent keywords that are searched a lot for would be a good place to start building your domain collection :eek:k:

You could use this tool: http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/
to help your research.

Edwin

Oregon_Mike

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I posted some of the domains I have registered under the appraisal section unfortunately none of them are dot COMS it seems like everything I search for someone has grabbed the dot COM extension already.

Are you allowed to register names of TV shows or names of other popular websites without it being against the law? For example could I register TheApprentice.ws or google.ws if those where available.

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Mike. I 've owned several excellent one-word .ws domains. Never made a plugged nickel.

My advice is to take your time, find a niche and if you are looking to make money on re-sale, stick to quality domains. They are harder to come by and you need to work the system to make a profit.

Good luck.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike , .WS is really the way to go right now , .Ws has been the hottest selling extension on DNF for the past 3 months.. good top generic names have been going for up to$750 .. most are in the $15 to $70 range. I PAID $350 for a.WS just over a week ago.

They are excellent names for development..excellent because you can still get TOP keywords at a a fraction the cost of the .com . They are search engine friendly and the spammers dont care for them becaus their reg fees are a couple bucks more than .biz for example (spammers like domains they can buy cheap and throw away when the search engines drop them or they are cut off at their ISP's).

They are perfect for quick aftermarket sales at 2 -30 tmes your reg fee.
And they are perfect for development..

There are 4 main .ws aftermarket sellers on DNF.. just look through the sales threads for the past 3 months and check for your self. Most of the very top keywords are gone but still some very choice names available. You need to check overture and get a rough idea what advertisers are paying per click ..
I just picked up Binoculars.ws for example for $15 I go to overture.com and see the the top positions are paying nearly $1 a click even in 40 th place they are paying .15cents a clicks .. so I know if I develop this and whenI start getting taffic that the name wil very easily pay for itself..and fast ! and it LOOKS good ..

do you really want to regg myfavoritebinocularstore.com .. Binoculars.ws is sooooomuch more appealing to the eye.. So after 3-6 months you have a nice Binocular website set up on the perfect keyword (binolculars) and you have traffic comoing and bit of revenues ..then you have created value..you can now keep the smal site running and collect a steady stream of income (the limit is only how much work you want to put into it) or you can sell it for 10,20 30 times or more what you paid it.

people that are registering the same junk doyoutlikethis.com and then registering doyoulikethis.ws wel lof course they cant sell them !

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome Mike

Oregon_Mike said:
Also how do you determine if a domain name is worth buying?

Try to live by these rules and you'll save yourself some $$$.

If it is unregistered, it's worth $8 or less, until it's developed.

If you can't develop it, no time/skill, then don't register it.

If you have no/time skill then you should have lots of money to play the daily drop game. No skill required, just money.

If you have no time/skill/money run, run far away.

Cheers,

Sharpy

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Mike. Lots of good advice so far - I would reiterate a few I think are important...

1) spend lots of time researching old appraisal & sales threads here
2) focus on a niche
3) you should either have development skills or $$, both are even better
4) generally speaking, don't bother registering new domains - if it is available, it is crap

Good luck!

Oregon_Mike

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice. Luckily I only registered about a dozen domains before learning I was wasting my time with the way I was going about it. I'll probably just get rid of those and read through the forum and start over with a little bit for knowledge about how this all works. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom