Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Football Complete name .org ~ Can I use for non-profit fan site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own a professional football team's .org [complete name]

I wanted to know if I can use it as a non-profit unofficial fan site? Word press with updates, videos (via youtube), etc.

If so, what can I have on the site and what can't I have on the site?

Would appreciate comments/suggestions from people with experience with this type of domain / site.

thank you,
-Mike C.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From what i have seen on WIPO and UDRP decisions you can but not sure exactly what you can have on there but one thing is for sure no ads whatsoever......

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand no ads, no plans for that. I don't have anything up yet, but I have a feeling they are going to be a big team this year so wouldn't be a bad idea to put it to use.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It depends on the whim of the team's owner.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no monetization what so ever....

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you launch it as a legitimate fan site, that's one thing.

But, a half-witted trademark lawyer can see through a clever attempt to mask a PPC page as a "fan site."

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Fake left, fake right, he fumbles! :D

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you launch it as a legitimate fan site, that's one thing.

But, a half-witted trademark lawyer can see through a clever attempt to mask a PPC page as a "fan site."

I already have a wordpress template I can use, just going to RSS some articles and add youtube videos everyweek, let people comment, etc. No adsense, no advertising banners, no text links, etc.

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I already have a wordpress template I can use, just going to RSS some articles and add youtube videos everyweek, let people comment, etc. No adsense, no advertising banners, no text links, etc.

Let me pretend that I'm the NFL's lawyer for a moment. Here's how I would attack it.

I would say that you are a domainer, not a developer or a sports fan. You bought the domain to use it as a speculative investment, and the site is a mere pretext so that you can attempt to create a veneer of good faith use. However, it is nothing more than a wordpress template with some RSS articles. The registrant's only purpose is to sit on the domain, perhaps grow traffic to it, and then sell it at a profit -- with the only value in the domain or the website coming from traffic generated by members of the public looking for the complainant.

That's essentially what the UDRP complaint against you will look like.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am a developer and a fan actually ;)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not a lawyer but I think fan sites are generally okay; however any monetization and you can be hung.

Generally this is the safest way to go. No monetization but...

It depends on the whim of the team's owner.

I think the owners only own the teams - it's the NFL that holds the TM / C on the team names as well as the "NFL" acronym (and a few others).

If they feel it is a violation then they can demand it and file a WIPO. Whether or not they win is up to how good the attorneys are and the panel's decision.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generally this is the safest way to go. No monetization but...

I think the owners only own the teams - it's the NFL that holds the TM / C on the team names as well as the "NFL" acronym (and a few others).

If they feel it is a violation then they can demand it and file a WIPO. Whether or not they win is up to how good the attorneys are and the panel's decision.

That is what I am worried about. NFL is very aggressive against any one that uses NFL or their team names. Only thing I am afraid of is developing 100%, legitimately and once they see how much traffic its getting, they will do anything and say anything to get it back. Don't think the legal fee's in the long wrong would make up for a non-profit website... I will sit on it and see what happens in the future...

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not question that. I'm just telling you what the NFL guys will say.

I understand, and I appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations you and the others have provided to me. Definitely a great help on my decision as to what to do with this domain.

thanks again,
-Mike C.

chrisb72

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can just about guarantee you that if you call the NFL and tell them you want to build a fan site on that domain they will give you the ok. The nfl is very good about allowing fan websites. If they chased every NFL team name on every extension like "windows" or "microsoft" did, there wouldnt be anyone asking these questions they would just be ignoring the domains with those names because the proof would be in the pudding and you would be able to see multiple lawsuits relating to the NFL or football teams in general. They dont. They are one company that seems to be somewhat ok with it. They look at it like it should be looked at and that is, Do your thing. If you have a few hundred people come to your site then fine. If they need the domain they will ask for it and if you dont give to them and they want it bad enough then they will take it. Its as simple as that.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
risky.

Nor can you use any depiction of the NFL logo, team logo, or any licensed NFL product.

I have a few team names, not the entire city/state + team combo, that I have yet to do anything with.

For instance, vikings are local high schools, a team in Minnesota, and a culture.

Risky making anything even appear affiliated with a pro sports franchise. The stuff is so highly copyrighted, TM, and owned.

I would hate to get "owned"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom