Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Football stars name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seonmwando

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i registered this name about one year ago and the name belongs to a linebacker whos agent wants to sue me for the name. Please help with advice. As far as i am concerned you can hold onto a name i.e randymoss.com isnt owned by randymoss but someone else. Is there any legal challenges to owning a sports figures name.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This was discussed here numerous times, and I got bashed for bringing it up again.

My suggestion, not legal advice, try to get them to sign a legal document that states if you give them the domain, they won't take any legal action, and give them the domain. Too much headache for what it's worth. On the flip side their were some cases like this won, although the majority lost, which can be found in previous threads.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not just owning a sports figures name but any name with notoriety. The problem is, even if you kept it or won it how would ever use it without crossing the line. Allot of domains are lost because their content infringes on the name or services of another. With this it's much worse, what plausible reason could have to own such a name? See what I mean. I personally have given some names up because I saw that at the end of the day a win would mean nothing since I could never find a way to use the domain safely and legally.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Or...Tell him his game sucks and he's a little wuss and that you're 6ft 3" and 235 lbs of steel, not just a skinny domainer!

seonmwando

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They are not even going to make the ****ing superbowl,,, i have a deep feeling they wont. :) on a brighter note they are offering tickets to watch some crappy game, and theres this lady i am trying to impress and .. we all know how that goes.
Thanks acroplex, acronym and fab for taking time to answer. Really i appreciate it.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They are offering tickets to a game in exchange for the domain?? Take it and run imo! And... like the other said, I would request a signed document stating that they are absolving you of any ability to sue you later, and that the matter of the domain name is resolved and no further action can/will be taken.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Honestly the risk, imo, isn't worth it. If you lose, you get labeled a squatter and that will effect any future disputes...

To keep it that is :p

EnricoSchaefer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True. Celebrity names are protected under the UDRP and ACPA. Under the ACPA, you could be liable for up to $100,000 in statutory damages plus attorney fees for bad faith infringement. Get a release of liability if you decide to give up the domain.

Good luck. Here is a link for more info Personal and Proper Names Protected Under Cybersquatting Act.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are not even going to make the ****ing superbowl,,, i have a deep feeling they wont. :) on a brighter note they are offering tickets to watch some crappy game, and theres this lady i am trying to impress and .. we all know how that goes.
Thanks acroplex, acronym and fab for taking time to answer. Really i appreciate it.

They're really offering you ticket(s) two I hope. Not bad at all.

seonmwando

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quick update, the agent is willing to part with some game tickets (hopefully not preseason) and some signed balls or something along that line. :)
I will have a full update on tuesday next week.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Honestly the risk, imo, isn't worth it. If you lose, you get labeled a squatter and that will effect any future disputes...

To keep it that is :p

He's already a cybersquatter.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its one thing to do it, its another thing to get labeled it by a UDRP proceeding :p

Op got lucky this time that they didn't go straight UDRP or ACPA (or w/e the cybersquatting thing is called). Live 'n' learn... hopefully he learned not to mess with celebrity names :)

Justin Hulsey

Those Damn Hippies
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom