Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale 'For sale' vs parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In response to whitebark's post in the TBR thread, how are the success rate with simple 'for sale' pages as opposed to parked page with a tiny 'this page may be for sale' message?

I have a few domains that are getting a lot of views, but with no clicks.

Also, does anyone know of a good, cheap host that would let me host multiple domains on one hosting account?

thanks

Domain Days 2024

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You don't need a for sale sign to sell something. The domain sells itself unless you own a lot of below average domains. Then go ahead and develop and try to make it worth something.

ianccc

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Come on "TheInvestor" he does not need to be preached too

Hostgator will allow you UNLIMITED domains in thier "BabyCrock" plan for $9.00 usd per month - these will be ADDON domains but fully funtional + cpanel so you can make up a generic template with a FOR SALE sign, plugin in content and off you go.

~ian

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am just trying to help. I have had sites parked and not parked. They both get the same amount of offers. So i'm just trying to say it is irrelevant. You may actually get more offers with a for sale page, but that doesn't mean they are buyers willing to spend more since they just landed on the page.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I do not like the "for sale" approach because it might be an opening for someone to contest ownership with CIRA unless its a 100% pure generic. I prefer the "under construction" for most and parking for the rest, and developing for the few...but that is just me.

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In response to whitebark's post in the TBR thread, how are the success rate with simple 'for sale' pages as opposed to parked page with a tiny 'this page may be for sale' message?

thanks

I believe there is little difference between the two methods. What they do seem to have in common is that offers are usually not serious or adequate...not even to reseller levels. I believe the best results come from those who visit the whois to find your contact details.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You don't need a for sale sign to sell something. The domain sells itself unless you own a lot of below average domains. Then go ahead and develop and try to make it worth something.

I'm not considering this for my garbage hand reg'd names (I'm letting those die slow deaths) nor am I doing it for my quality names, because those are getting enough clicks to break even and wait.

I was thinking I might do this with my middle of the pack names and are getting a lot of views, but generating no revenue. These are also names that I have no attachment to and that I think I could make 'some' money off of (like in the 50% profit range)

But thanks to all those who have replied

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You don't need a for sale sign to sell something.

How does someone know something is for sale unless you tell them it is? Sure some people will just ask but most won't. To really succeed in online sales you must work on the presumption that everyone knows nothing so make it blatantly obvious.

I do not like the "for sale" approach because it might be an opening for someone to contest ownership with CIRA unless its a 100% pure generic.

That's why you write - "this domain may be for sale." ;)

I believe there is little difference between the two methods. What they do seem to have in common is that offers are usually not serious or adequate...not even to reseller levels. I believe the best results come from those who visit the whois to find your contact details.

There is a huge difference! For one you have barely one line to advertise your name with a parked page whereas with a created page you can write whatever sales pitch you want.

And what about those who choose to protect their WHOIS details? Domainers may know how to contact a .ca owner via CIRA's backward contact method but 95% of the average consumers have no clue about WHOIS let alone what to do after seeing no contact details after conducting a WHOIS search on a protected .ca!

The advantages of even a simple page far outweigh a parked page for sales imo. First a parked page is highly unlikely to be indexed by the search engines whereas a sales page/placeholder page/minisite is indexed and far more likely to bring in potential buyer's eyes to your domain.

Another advantage is better monetization until sale. Heck you might start making more than you thought and end up not wanting to sell it and instead develop it further! I do this all the time. I put up a placeholder or small website and wait and see what happens. Some do nothing but others far exceed expected traffic levels, and those get extra attention.

The fact that a domain is indexed, has backlinks, search history etc is in itself another selling feature not usually found in a parked domain. To those who develop, these things add value to a domain name.

Last edited:

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Roy,

I have different views than you from a development vs parking aspect. Considering the amount of domains i hold. Developing would not only be a nightmare but would put me on the street.

Second, if i'm trying to attract an average consumer to buy my domain by putting a for sale sign. I am really going to be wasting my time. Since the average consumer thinks a domain is worth $100 max.

I'm not knocking what you are doing, but everyone has different ways to get to success. I hope what you are doing is profitable, that's all that matters.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've managed to sell three domains to end-users this week. Two from single page placeholders and the first in some time to a contact that came from CIRA's privacy contact method.

Speaking of that method - I purchased privacy protection from namespro a few months before the CIRA privacy changes went into effect - and the namespro privacy still remains, so I've got double the protection!

As well I had someone contact me last week through CIRA's method but they didn't leave any contact information in the text body! There was no way to get back to them as CIRA doesn't make their email address available either. CIRA should mention somewhere on their website page for that contact form that the sender should include contact details in the body text. As it appears now an unsuspecting user would just assume their email address would be visible to the recipient.

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Whitebark, I was contacted via the Cira form as well and the message was in an attachment and the person's email was in the main message from Cira. Maybe you missed it?

D.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Whitebark, I was contacted via the Cira form as well and the message was in an attachment and the person's email was in the main message from Cira. Maybe you missed it?

D.

The attachment contains the same text amended to the end of the cira email - for me anyways. If they don't place their email in the text content they send it's not included by cira - even in the message source - just the noreply@cira :?:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What recession? If I wasn't seeing my website and parking profits taking a nose-dive over the past few months I wouldn't believe it. I sold another domain to an end-user today. This one was parked and picked up in the tbr a few weeks back. Considering the topic of the thread it seems both methods work! :eek:k:

"I will email you when the XXXXXXXX website is up and running. The XXXXXXXX community were very pleased at your generosity.
Thank you"

I could have held them over a barrel but in this case I'd rather take a smaller slice and see a .ca put to good use by those that can use it best. Sometimes our business can use good press - considering what that meathead is doing with that politician's domain. The last thing we want and/or can afford is the meddling of a bunch if idle-handed pissed-off politicians.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even though the economy is down you still get the feeling that good names are in demand. I wonder if there are any stats on internet use over the last months, it's probably stayed constant or increased IMO.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the feeling that its a buyers market is probably increasing the amount of sale leads that are coming in. I've noticed an increase as well.

zerokarma

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If someone really wants the domain they will contact you or find a way to contact you.

Even if you don't have contact info on the domain and have your whois set to private people can still contact you through CIRA's contact form.

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If someone really wants the domain they will contact you or find a way to contact you.

Even if you don't have contact info on the domain and have your whois set to private people can still contact you through CIRA's contact form.

I think most business owners would have no clue how to contact a domain owner. They have no clue about whois, even less about Cira. The real money is selling to end users/business owners. They would probably go to NetworkSolution and type a domain in the search, if it's taken that's it. If they type the domain direct and try it and it shows a parked page, that's it. Most of them have no clue about the value of a short or premium domain or even what a parked page is. Most of my existing clients are still typing domain in the google search box instead of the addres bar.

I don't do much anymore but I use to do lots of Web Design and almost every client I had I'm the one who recommended and picked the domain for them. The ones that needs to be educated about domains are the designers.

Having a comment on the page that the domain is for sale or inquire about this domain will definitely increase chances.

Just my 2 cents.

D.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
d'accord

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom