Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

For those into PPC advertising: What are Match Types & how to use them right

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Match types are a very confusing aspect of PPC advertising and it might be one of the most important factors that could “make or break” your business if your business depends on Adwords (or Yahoo Search Marketing, Bing AdCenter etc) traffic.

The most confusing part of all – and the part most advertisers often fail to realize-, is that even though some PPC platforms feature match types under the same name, there are cases that the functionality of a certain match type might vary quite a bit from platform to platform.

I’ve covered the differences from match type to match type in all large search engines in a previous post (see Match Types, but for the sake of illustrating my point I’ll mention a brief example below:

Take for example Google’s Adwords “Broad Match” VS Bing’s AdCenter “Broad Match” VS Yahoo Search Marketing “Advanced Match”(which is the equivalent to the Broad Match):

- Google Adwords will match any query that includes all the keywords including singular, plural, spelling alternatives and synonyms. Google will also match what their algorithm considers to be related queries. This combined with their “Automatic Match” gives Google’s Broad Match the title of “The Broadest Of All Broad Match Types” on the web. You bid on Baby gifts and your ad might show up for Child Gifts. Bid on Ferrari Cars and your ad will trigger on Luxury Cars. An absolute black hole sucking your advertising budget.

-Yahoo Search Marketing is the same as the above basically, however they are not as “broad”. Unlike Google, related queries usually do not trigger your ad to show.

-MSN (Bing) will match a query that includes all the words but they will not always combine singular and plural, but there is(in certain cases) some light synonym matching.

So as you see, even though all search engines offer a broad match equivalent, you will find many differences from one provider to another.

Continue reading this article on my blog: Learn How To Use Match Types Correctly & Save Money!

And Learn the differences between all the match types here: Match types in Adwords, Microsoft AdCenter and Yahoo Search Marketing. Get it right

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom