Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Forum site rebranding/name change, suggestions or tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

insomnia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I own a street racing forum thats pretty large, about 50+ users on at any given time. I acquired it recently, but want to rebrand the community into a more open, legal automotive site that focuses more on cars and less on the crap that it currently focuses on.

I'll be rebranding the site from a .com to a .ca since its locally targetted. How do I ensure the community will continue to come to the site? I'll be redirecting and using all the posts and members on the new site. How can I make this transfer smooth?

If you've got ideas, please post! Thanks!

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
don't do redirection, but instead connect forum to two domains, that way the old guys on the forum don't think its changed, and leave, and new guys stay with new domain. As for making the members talk about somethign else, what you need a strong staff, of moderators and admins, that focus the group on discussion thats forum appropriate. Get an announcement in every forum, and say what you want the people to be able to discuss in the forum, and what is not allowed. Get a few solid mods, that won't bend an inch, and will keep things in order.

Sure you might loose some members but if after the changes you got 45K active members rrather then 50K active members, I'm sure you'll be fine, and the forum will be like you wanted it.

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sincerely wouldn't change to .ca.. what's wrong with .com?

If you need people to stay on the topic you want just get more moderators and put a couple of OT folders to avoid losing members.

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of 'crap' they're focusing on but maybe that's the kinda crap they're interested in. The community will find it's own way, maybe you shouldn't be forcing your views on them.

It might be better to start up a new forum and heavily promote it on the current one (copy the dB so your users can login with same username then delete all threads you don't want on the new forum). You can then guide the new forum into the areas you want it to be in while allowing the old one to keep at it's natural level that it appears to already have found.

If you don't like working on the old forum then sell it after a few months when your new fourm is going how you like it.

Just another option idea :)

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
croupier said:
I'm not sure what kind of 'crap' they're focusing on but maybe that's the kinda crap they're interested in. The community will find it's own way, maybe you shouldn't be forcing your views on them.

that's what i read into your thread also. if it's an active discussion just add on don't change.

insomnia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmm, the thing is, there isn't much discussion about cars at all! The most populars sections are the Classifieds, "Shoot the Sh~t" which is the lounge i suppose, and a section for them to post videos and girls. The other sections are relatively docile.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Insomnia: I know what you mean...I have operated large .ca car forums...and I know all about what streetracers enjoy talking about. All I can recommend is to add some extra sections that are focused on more "intelligent" car talk. If you try and force visitors to switch from talking about huge spoilers, nitrous on civics and how a guy in his neon beat this idiot in his cavalier...the forum will become abandoned.

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
Insomnia: I know what you mean...I have operated large .ca car forums...and I know all about what streetracers enjoy talking about. All I can recommend is to add some extra sections that are focused on more "intelligent" car talk. If you try and force visitors to switch from talking about huge spoilers, nitrous on civics and how a guy in his neon beat this idiot in his cavalier...the forum will become abandoned.

I agree.. just add more sections on cars and promote the forum on AdWords.. that should increase quality over time.

Furthermore people who loves cars often loves also women..

Women&Cars.. tell me a car magazine who doesn't have a woman on the cover. Here in Italy you won't find one :)

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you don't want those visitors, you can always recommend them to my forum. :)

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just add on and see what happens.. It can't hurt. When those forums are added on and you are promoting more, you will notice new registrations from people interested in those topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom