Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Forum Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

neologist

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of launching **.Com, a site particular to Pacific Northwest residents and business people. I really like the vanity features provided by vBulletin. My partner, who owns the server, is afraid that the linux based vBulletin software may somehow endanger his Microsoft servers and the many other sites he hosts. He recommends Toast Forums software. I haven't been able to find enough information to convince him or myself one way or another. Is there an expert opinion somewhere? :huh:

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't really used Toast Forums, though after taking a look at their site, it appears that it probably wouldn't be the best solution for a community. Basically because it lacks a lot of the features many users like. It is also quite plain. But it does run in ASP, which he may feel is better for his server.

But PHP runs fine on Windows, in my experience. vBulletin could work. It isn't really "Linux based", just PHP/MySQL. Though many hosts have actually blocked vBulletin from their servers, as it tends to be a little high on the server load. Thus somewhat threatening other sites hosted on the same server. Depending on the size the forum may become, this may become a problem.

I would personally recommend using Invision Power Board. It runs perfectly fine on Windows, and even offers a MS-SQL database driver, to further optimize it on Windows, if of course you are running MS-SQL on the server. It also has all, if not more, of the "vanity features" that you like in vB.

neologist

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Invision Power Board recommended on other forums as well. Definitely checking it out. Thank you! :party:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom