Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Four Trends Domainers Need to Avoid in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, Morgan Linton wrote about five trends that domainers are likely to rally around in 2012. That post warranted a response, so here we are with our very own list of four trends you ought to avoid going into the next 9 months of the year. 1. 3DTV 3DTV has been nothing short of a [...]

More...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam, exactly how significant is this (reprinted from your article) and when do you think smartphones and tablets will dominate so much that computer based domain traffic will seriously go away to the point it's not worthwhile making minisites and owning lots of domains anymore, especially longer names?

"2. Long-Tail Keyword Domain Names

Longer domain names are going out of fashion for two reasons:

- Running mini-sites on long-tail domain names isn’t nearly as profitable as it used to be since the Google Panda update. Compound this with the Google giving less importance to exact match domain names in its algorithm, and we can see the market for long-tail keyword domain names falling flat, fast.

- It is only a matter of time before the majority ditches its PCs and laptops in favor of smartphones and tablets. This isn’t a question of ‘if’, but ‘when’ now. Typing in a four word long domain name into a smartphone or tablet browser is difficult. As a developer, you’d be much better off with a shorter, easier to type-in domain name.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think the case for brandable domains (eg: made up five letter words) is as bad as the blog post says. If they are short and pronouncable and look good, they have potential. Lots of start ups still use names like this.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

On most of the sites of mine I check, the device used for access by visitors is still largely computer/desktop. Though mobile is increasing, it is just not the same as having a large screen to browse through a website. I think mobile is a great area to get into right now, but there will always be a place for the computer screen. If you had to do all your surfing using a mobile device you'd go nuts. It's like would you rather play Call of Duty or those types of games on a large screen or small screen? Would you rather watch a movie on a large screen tv or smartphone screen? Mobile is great for small, quick tasks but many times having a full keyboard and screen is better. Just my opinion, I'm sure some here do a lot of their online activity through mobile.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree. I personally hate using internet access on a phone and its tiny screen and use a desktop almost exclusively. Don't even enjoy using my good size laptop which sucks compared to desktop but maybe that's just me.

I don't think the case for brandable domains (eg: made up five letter words) is as bad as the blog post says. If they are short and pronouncable and look good, they have potential. Lots of start ups still use names like this.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

On most of the sites of mine I check, the device used for access by visitors is still largely computer/desktop. Though mobile is increasing, it is just not the same as having a large screen to browse through a website. I think mobile is a great area to get into right now, but there will always be a place for the computer screen. If you had to do all your surfing using a mobile device you'd go nuts. It's like would you rather play Call of Duty or those types of games on a large screen or small screen? Would you rather watch a movie on a large screen tv or smartphone screen? Mobile is great for small, quick tasks but many times having a full keyboard and screen is better. Just my opinion, I'm sure some here do a lot of their online activity through mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom