Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Free internet access for all US residents from Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about the rumor Google is wiring the United States for wifi.
Maybe not the entire Us but major cities for sure.
Supposedly, All you need is wifi access and Google will allow you to surf for free.
I assume there will be ads everywhere.
And you must use their homepage.

Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Domain Days 2024

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes its gonna be called "google wifi worldwide"

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is needed for WiFi? I wireless network conection, or a wireless adaptor that is able to connect to WiFi connection?

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It will not be allowed because it is what we call a monolopoly :).

insomnia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think they're doing beta with san francisco, but largely I'm not sure if wiring an entire city will be cost efficient

gariben

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google was approve to provide Wi-Fi only in Mountain View. They are bidding against 5 other providers in San Francisco.

It will not be allowed? I think we will see about that, Google have money, Some people would sell their family for the right price...

Microsoft has 40 billion dollars in the vault and that is not considered to be a lot of money. Compared to Microsoft, Google has pocket change now.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gariben said:
Google was approve to provide Wi-Fi only in Mountain View. They are bidding against 5 other providers in San Francisco.

Microsoft has 40 billion dollars in the vault and that is not considered to be a lot of money. Compared to Microsoft, Google has pocket change now.

Google has a ton of cash on hand to invest. Last I heard, Microsoft also has $40 Billion in liquid cash as well. This should help to paint a picture of how large GOOGLE already is compared to some other big names, and also why something like the free wifi worldwide idea could fit their strategy.

Market Cap List

GOOGLE - $120 Billion
TimeWarner - $85 Billion
Ebay - $65 Billion
American Express - $64 Billion
Yahoo! - $60 Billion
Sony - $36 Billion

Google is huge and does have a lot of cash to invest. Here's a quote from Google's IPO Prospectus:

"We would fund projects that have a 10% chance of earning a billion dollars.... Do not be surprised if we place smaller bets in areas that seem very speculative or even strange."

-source: BusinessWeek Magazine Dec. 2005

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no thanks. i didn't user their gmail service because i don't want my emails inspected for content and cached on their servers and i wont use their "free" wifi service when it is available.

remember people, nothing is ever free. one way or another you WILL pay for it, either with your privacy or in other means.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
yes its gonna be called "google wifi worldwide"

this was a joke btw..I wanted to see if anyone went and reg'd it..lol

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
Last I heard, Microsoft also has $40 Billion in liquid cash as well. This should help to paint a picture of how large GOOGLE already is compared to some other big names

Market Cap List

GOOGLE - $120 Billion
TimeWarner - $85 Billion
Ebay - $65 Billion
American Express - $64 Billion
Yahoo! - $60 Billion
Sony - $36 Billion

Google is huge and does have a lot of cash to invest.
I like how Microsoft ($286B), Intel ($158B) and IBM ($134B) are left out. Google has some huge competition with MUCH larger liquid cash flows.

Regardless of the above figures, market cap is one matter, liquid cash is another. Microsoft has lots, Google, not so much (less than 1/5th of Microsoft).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom