Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

French Translation Please: Brokeur

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsturbed

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ive looked high and low... and even discussed the word with French natives sitting next to me, called friends in France that've looked in there local dictionaries... and cannot find the word at all!

Yet, look the term up in Google and you find it being used in a number of different contexts...

What is the translation in english %+| ? Broker ? Is it slang ?

Cheers

Domain Days 2024

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually if you page through to the end of the Google results, you'll see that it only appears on about 45 sites (even though it states 15,200 results - it's on some sites many many many times).

That's a big clue that it's not a word that's regularly used in normal French. In fact, it's a typo of the French word "broker" (yes, "broker" is used in French too, but "courtier" seems more popular.)

dsturbed

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
Actually if you page through to the end of the Google results, you'll see that it only appears on about 45 sites (even though it states 15,200 results - it's on some sites many many many times).

That's a big clue that it's not a word that's regularly used in normal French. In fact, it's a typo of the French word "broker" (yes, "broker" is used in French too, but "courtier" seems more popular.)

So wait, is it a common typo used in france, many many many times ? That's a bit strange wouldn't you say - unless it were slang - I can't see it being used 15,200x in what seems to be everyday discussions...

French: quel est votre brokeur et en êtes vous content ?
English: Who is your broker and are you happy with them?

How can that be a typo. Its all very strange.

Many thanks Edwin. :worried:

Cheers

Arsenik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many french speaking ppl take english words and use it in french and even sometimes transform it to be "french".

ie: Router (english) = Routeur ("french" - The real translation is "aiguilleur")

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, I am saying it's a very rare typo, but some of the (very few) sites that have the typo on their pages have thousands of pages indexed by Google.

That's why the page count looks so high. If it was 15,200 sites each with 1 use of the word, that's one thing. But the actual situation is just 45 sites using the word up to 15,200 times in all!

dsturbed

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Arsenik said:
Many french speaking ppl take english words and use it in french and even sometimes transform it to be "french".

ie: Router (english) = Routeur ("french" - The real translation is "aiguilleur")

Fair enough. That about sums it up for me.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Courtier is correct. Brokeur is not.
Good luck.

dsturbed

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Colbert said:
Courtier is correct. Brokeur is not.
Good luck.

I know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom