Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

From Tadpole to Killer Whale in 12 Months: The Pool.com Story Now at DNJournal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just in time for your Sunday morning reading enjoyment, the June Cover Story is now out at DNJournal.com. Believe it or not, this month marks only the 1st birthday for Pool.com, the Canadian company that came out of nowhere to dominate the drop catching business. Now you can meet the people who built the domain industry powerhouse in record time and find out how they did it. CEO Michael Arrington pulled no punches while discussing the competition in our exclusive interview either. Hope you enjoy it! Here is the link:

The Pool.com Story: From Tadpole to Killer Whale in Just 12 Months!

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In 1998, Hall founded the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA), the registry for Canada's .ca country code domain.

Wow!

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent read as always Duke. Can't get over the fact it's only been one year.

“since SnapNames' revenue is not directly tied to successfully obtaining domains - they get paid when a backorder is placed, not when a domain is registered for a customer - they have not been aggressive in keeping and expanding their registrar partners. In fact, the fewer domains they obtain the lower their costs are. As a result, their success rate has dropped from over 75% a year ago to less than 20% today.”

If that's the case, snaps better pray the WLS comes sooner than later.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent read. It's a shame they didn't mention how 10 months ago, I contacted them with the idea of a 'domain marketplace', and the hopes of helping organize and run it.

They did however, thank me for the great idea, and asked me to 'keep them coming'.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i did the same months ago, probably not 10 months though :)

Nicely done Duke.

would have liked them to made some comments on maybe the suggested "fake bidding".. allthough they probably wouldn't say anything.

- Jordan

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Listen to their propaganda justifications of their business model acting like paying upfront at snapnames is such a bad thing. I'd much rather payupfront for a very cheap service and retain the value of what I get rather than give it away to THEM and have to compete in an auction where I am outbid by large corporations who according to them "need it more badly"! Look at them all with their ANTI-WLS shirts on too! They are all laughing to the bank. All they care about is where their next paycheck comes from. All these people should be jailed. Registrars by nature should be available to service name registration not sit to collect paychecks for high valued domains. I think all of this is a moralistic contradiction of their original duties. This isn't about free enterprise anymore it's about money and who can set up the most DBA registrars to get more connections to the central registry.

Yet another in a line of great articles!!

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Blink said:
Pool is bad for resellers.

If only mainstream America knew what was really going on in this industry in the last two years. :santa: If you are Newbie to this game you are SOL in my opinion. ENOM should have done this long ago when they had the chance. The lucky veterans which will live to tell about all this may yet go out in glory if we have played our cards right. LIke mole, stoc, and I have preached for a while niche is key as well as diversification (as duke is well known for with venturing into newer TLDs). Thus we see some hope on the horizon. At least for now Pool hasn't put too much of it's claw on this market yet.....but like the article says it will be shortly following. I think the best senario is the WLS rollout this fall and then POOL moving to other domains therefore forcing people to contact owners directly about .com names and increasing values at auction in the other markets which appear to be firing up with book.biz finishing at $7K or more. The new auction thing is a great idea for POOL's longterm success.

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Blink said:
Pool is bad for resellers.

Yakov

You were the one who basically introduced DNForum to Pool.com a year ago as there #1 backer and fan. I realize you originally did this to make your money as an affiliate.

Why are you doing a complete 180 on Pool? I'm sure the affiliate commissions have not gone dry.

Do you not like competing with the real powerhouse buyers? It would be nice to see you try and compete with buydomains or Elequa, however if you are not looking at 8 zeroes in your account, you are only upper middle class in the domain business. I guess I would be sore also.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Excellent read. It's a shame they didn't mention how 10 months ago, I contacted them with the idea of a 'domain marketplace', and the hopes of helping organize and run it.

I say get over it, it's not the most original idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom