Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Full name domain names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of full name domain names such as pa.in (for pain) or famo.us (for famous)? Do they have any real value? I think they'd be great for advertising and the end user would remember it easier. What do you think?

Domain Days 2024

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tried that a good while ago - I had stuff like briti.sh and scotti.sh -- waste of time IMHO. Only site I can think of that's made a success of it is del.icio.us or whatever it is. Having said that, I still hold on to silly stuff like thetennis.net and thefishing.net that I've had for ages -- almost the same idea I guess.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
These are called "hacked" names and are a real novelty. The question is, outside of domaineers that think they are cool, does the PUBLIC type in or search that way.

While "famous" is a great word, google will see is as "famo" for searches and it is certainly not a common typo.

While sufficient marketing and so forth can make virtually any memorable name successful, hacked names are not "natural" for traffic.

Doesn't mean it's not possible... just that it's not PROBABLE

Best of luck!

GoPC

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah as for search engine rankings, they might lack a little. I think you guys are right that they're not ideal. I don't understand how del.icio.us made it so well either since I can never remember how to spell it and I'm interested in that type of thing. I don't own any of these types of names but I did notice that all good ones have been reg'ed which made me wonder what the value was. Thanks for the input!

mindzero

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These names are kind of cool, but I think they will be hard to remember like where to but the period etc. Not for us domainers but for normail people who dont know all of the extensions etc.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think in general those hacked domains have no considerable name-only value, but some of them can be developed very well.

I own a few of those hacks as well, the nicest of them being a hack AND a keyword:

megabit.ch

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom