Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

General advice on domain names including a copyrighted brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpiono

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm asking for some general advice.
Assuming that someone purchases a domain name named (and here's some randoms) "ipadwallpapers.TLD" or "audifanclub.TLD" it does contain the ipad / audi keyword. Could any of these companies issue a lawsuit or suspend/get these type of domain names?

Obviously they will be for commercial use as you either generate income from advertising/affiliate marketing/etc so the ground idea is that you create them to generate income, not just for fun.

Cheers,
Sergiu

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They can and they will. Bad idea.

You're answering your own question really.... adding "fan club" after a brand MIGHT be ok if that was really what it was... but once you start monetizing it in any way, that argument (shaky already) flies right out the window.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yup, basically if you are profiting in any way because of using a trademark in your domain name then you basically are at the mercy of the trademark owner.

I would also recommend not to invest in these types of names. Not worth the risk.

Skinny

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are a number of cases where the TM holder wipoed the affiliate for their TM domain, and lost.
Now even with bona fide use, it could be risky unless you have written agreement and a rather formal relationship.

Spend some time perusing domain decisions at wipo.int.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, that said, how do forums such as blackberryforums, utilizing the keyword "blackberry" in its trademarked context, while evidently making money, survive without getting hit with lawsuits?

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, that said, how do forums such as blackberryforums, utilizing the keyword "blackberry" in its trademarked context, while evidently making money, survive without getting hit with lawsuits?
I don't see a TM for the specific "blackberry" term, that's why.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And yet we see trademark names plenty. In eBay is one of them... and in this forum, as well. I registered some, not knowing it's agains the rule. Got names with mastercard, google, few other trademarks in them. Dropped them all.

Scorpiono

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see many websites generating a decent income and using a brand in their domain name, I believe it's just highly risky..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom