Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

generic domain and trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelican

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am curious about the following scenario with generic domains.

Assume there is a registered company FISHING Co and they have a registered trademark FISHING for their fishing equipments.

And I have a generic domain name FISHING.xx (where xx could be ccTLD)

I then register and setup a company (Eg. XYZ Aquashop) selling my own brandless fishing equipments with my online store at FISHING.xx

Will that FISHING Co come to me and snatch my domain away? (assuming i did not try to pass off as their brand, just selling my own fishing equipments or reselling other brand of fishing equipments)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The answer depends on several parameters and you'd need to consult with an IP attorney on that. For example, when Amazon.gr set up a bookstore, Amazon Inc. filed a UDRP and won. In other cases, the opposite happened.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer (and as Acro suggested - you should talk to one about this) but I don't think you can register a TM for a generic team for the meaning of the generic term.

If their trademark is "Fishing Co" or "Fishing Company" then to be safe- do not call yourself that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom